(overlord) part 8 Dawn of Despair

Time skip after the Lich Commander's defeat

Cocytus treaded with extremely heavy footsteps towards the Throne Hall. As if they were affected by contagion, the servants following behind him likewise had footsteps that were slow and heavy.

The reason for these heavy footsteps was because of the defeat they had swallowed as a result of the war against the lizardmen. As the Commander of the glorious Nazarick army, he had allowed failure to stain its reputation.

Sure, being created as a warrior, Cocytus himself held a lot of respect for outstanding warriors like the lizardmen:

However, this was a completely different matter.

Nazarick does not tolerate failure. Furthermore, this instance was not a defensive battle like those in the past, but the first expedition. Anyone who was decorated with defeat in their first battle could not possibly be in a positive mood.

Recalling Demiurge's words, the army assigned to this task had been weak indeed, but that was just an excuse, even if there were a possibility his masters planned for the expedition to fail from the very beginning.

Eventually, the Throne Hall lay ahead, and the room just before it, named "Solomon's Gate", was already within eyesight. As such the closer they became, the heavier their footsteps became as if they were under the influence of some kind of magic effect.

Being blamed by the masters wasn't his main worry. He had already mentally prepared himself for any action necessary in order to wash off his shame, even if he were to be executed or ordered to commit suicide.

What Cocytus feared the most, was disappointing his masters.

If the last remaining Supreme Beings were to abandon him, what would he do?

Cocytus thought of himself as a sword, one which was in the hands of the masters and would obediently slice anything when ordered. That was why being considered useless or ineffective by the masters was the most terrifying.

Not only, that if the other Guardians were to be given up on for the sake of shared responsibility, but Cocytus also would not know how to face them.

There is no way this will be forgiven if it turns out to be severe to that degree even if I were to offer my life, it would still not be enough for forgiveness.

Furthermore...

If the masters became disappointed because of this and left this place just like the other Supreme Beings, what then...?

Cocytus shuddered. Being someone who had complete immunity to cold, the cause of the shudder was of course not from external factors but from within. He was under such considerable mental stress and torment that, if he were human, he would have easily been at the brink of puking.

No, that will not happen. Ainz, Noelia & Y/n-Sama definitely cannot... give up on us.

The last Supreme beings in this great tomb where all the others had already left.

Even if they were the individuals of highest authority they were also everybody's supporting pillar.

Therefore, how could such a kind-hearted liege give up on us he confronted himself with these words, but deep down he still harbored some uncertainty over events which could not possibly transpire.

They arrived at Solomon's Gate.

Normally, apart from the golems and crystal monsters that guarded the surroundings, this room would be devoid of anyone. Right now however there were many figures, Specifically, there were four Floor Guardians- Demiurge, Aura, Mare, and Shalltear. In addition, the four had brought along they're chosen, highest-ranking servants.