Chapter 40

What's Love Got To Do With It?

Robin woke early, as was usual for him. The morning chorus was riotous in the trees above the camp, and he could hear a light, steady rain pattering on the leaves. Little John snored lightly in the bed opposite his, yet, besides that, the camp was quiet.
Robin had been dreaming again - the usual nightmare that he had experienced intermittently since returning from the Holy Land. He was back in Acre, fighting against the infidels as bodyguard to the king, when he was drawn to a small, deserted settlement by the sound of the king's voice. He was calling for help, calling Robin's name, but, try as he might, Robin could not find him. He searched every building, every alleyway, while the blood ran freely in the streets, and bodies piled up on every corner. Men, women, children; broken bodies that filled him with despair. And King Richard continued to cry for help, but Robin could not find him amidst all the death.
It was then that Robin woke; always then, and he lay there for a while, his heart in his mouth. He did not know what the dream meant, or why it recurred so often, but it left him with such a feeling of helplessness that he had to leave the camp and take himself off on his own to rid himself of the pervasive mood. To run away from the terror of his subconscious.
Swinging his legs out of his bed, he found his boots and pulled them on, then grabbed his bow and arrows. Silently, he left the camp, treading lightly on the damp ground so as not to disturb Much, who would insist on accompanying him. He needed space to clear his head, and, as much as he loved the former man-servant, Much's presence did nothing to calm the cacophony in his mind; in fact, he often exacerbated it without even meaning to.
Traversing the forest using their secret pathways, Robin kept up a steady pace, accompanied by the constant patter of rain in the trees above, and gradually he began to shed the last vestiges of sleep, emerging from the constraints of his nightmare into the newness of the morning. The forest was beautiful, even in a downpour, and he couldn't remain glum for long when surrounded by its splendour. He just needed reminding from time to time, and, when he did, he removed himself from the gang, for they needed him to be strong and there were times when he couldn't be.
Leaving the protection of the forest, he stepped onto Locksley land and stood for a moment, staring out across his rightful domain. It was early, and the manor house was shuttered and still. Gisborne was probably still asleep, Robin thought, sourly. In HIS bed.
Robin could accept that he had been outlawed. He could accept that he had lost his land, temporarily, for King Richard would surely grant him a full pardon on his return. Robin could accept that he had to live in the forest, and wear the same clothes all the time, and exist on whatever delights Much managed to cobble together each day. He could accept and live with all of that.
But what he couldn't accept was that Guy of Gisborne had stepped into his shoes, and was living in his home, and using his title, and sniffing around his woman. Gisborne, of all people. The man was an idiot, plain and simple, and Robin despised him. He swanned around as if he owned the place in his ridiculous black leather, with his ridiculous smirk, yet everyone knew that he didn't have an original thought in his head. The Sheriff controlled his every move.
Robin refused to even consider that he was being unreasonable when it came to Gisborne. The man had committed atrocities under order from the Sheriff and Prince John, and that, in Robin's opinion was unforgivable. It was treason, and King Richard would be fully updated upon his return.
Hooking his bow over his shoulder, Robin made to head out across the village green, but froze as he heard stealthy movement behind him. Before he could whip around, he felt pressure in the centre of his back; an arrowhead, aimed beneath his shoulder blades.
With a sinking feeling, Robin opened his arms and raised them above his head in surrender.
"As you can see, I am unarmed," he said. "You would not harm an unarmed man?"
His assailant nudged the arrow into his back, urging him forward. Robin went reluctantly, resigned to his fate, wishing he had not ventured out this morning.
"Alright, alright," he said, wheedlingly. "I will not put up a fight. Won't you show yourself, now that you have caught me?"
There came a tinkle of laughter, and it was like the sun had come out and brightened up his world. A familiar voice said, "Hmm, I seem to have caught the great Robin Hood. Whatever will I do with him?"
Smirking, Robin lowered his arms and turned, slowly, to view the infamous Night Watchman, better known as Lady Marian of Knighton, his beloved. Resting her bow on the ground, she removed her mask and flashed him a devastating smile.
"Marian." Robin laughed out loud in delight, crossing to take her in his arms. "What are you doing here?"
Marian allowed him to draw her to him. "I live here now with my father." She indicated the manor house behind him. "Guy moved us here last night. My father was suffering in the castle."
Robin pulled back a little, his face suddenly stony. "So you live here with Gisborne?"
Marian shook her head. "Nope. He remains in the castle."
Robin was puzzled. "I don't understand. What does he get out of this?"
Marian smiled and slid her hands to the back of his neck, ruffling the hair on his nape. "Who cares? I'm here, at Locksley, and you're there, in the forest. We can see more of each other now. And that's what we wanted, isn't it?"
Robin looked down at her in adoration. "Of course, my love. But we both know Gisborne and we both know that this is not normal."
Marian shrugged. "Maybe not. But I will accept it for the generosity that it is right now. Be happy, my love, for who knows how long this will last."