Chapter 5

Marian

"Outlawed?" Roana's voice was steeped in disbelief as she and Alice left the village and made for the hidden track that lead straight from Locksley to Knighton Hall. "I cannot believe it. Whatever for?"
"I have no idea, my lady," Alice replied, nudging her horse into a canter at the sound of approaching hooves. "But let us go and find out before this Sir Guy appears."
A frequent destination during Roana's younger years, Knighton Hall was home to Lady Marian and her father, Sir Edward, and many a day had been spent travelling back and forth along the hidden pathway through the dense forest that joined the two properties. Roana and Marian had been close childhood friends, and had spent much of their time together before Roana had left for Filey.
As a youngster, Marian had been a wildly spirited child. Losing her mother to tuberculosis at an early age, she had doted on her father, and he on her. Sir Edward, Baron of Knighton, had been her staunchest supporter, no matter how many scrapes she got herself into, and had instilled a sense of independence in his daughter from an early age. The Sheriff of Nottingham for over thirty years, Edward had been a fair and astute man with a kind heart, and a steely backbone that Marian had inherited. Childhood Marian had inherited, Roana thought, darkly. Hopefully, adult Marian would still possess the same strength and integrity as her younger self. Thornton had vouched for her, so it must be the case.
However, Roana could not help but worry at the turmoil that she was beginning to unearth. Where was Robin? And what had happened to cause him to be outlawed? Roana needed answers, and hopefully Marian could provide them.
The horses set a fast pace through the forest, and they left Locksley behind at speed, arriving at Knighton Hall unscathed. At the sound of hooves on the courtyard, a head appeared in an upstairs window, then quickly vanished again. Confident that somebody was at home, Roana dismounted and hurried to the front door, giving it a sharp knock.
"Marian! It's is I, Roana, formerly of Locksley. Will you not come out to greet an old friend?"
The door was wrenched open and Marian stood before her; older, far more beautiful, but still Marian. She had always had a delightfully smooth complexion, and the most luxurious wing of raven hair. Roana felt positively dowdy beside her, but it mattered not. She felt only a wave of relief that Marian was here.
"Roana!" Marian exclaimed in delight. "My old friend! What are you doing here?"
She enveloped Roana in an ecstatic hug, then called over her shoulder, "Father! It is my old friend, Roana of Locksley! Can you believe it?"
"Marian, you have not changed at all," Roana returned the embrace, happily. "I am so glad that you are here. We had quite an odd experience at Locksley when I attempted to visit my brother."
Marian drew back and held her at arms length. "You have been to Locksley?" Her voice was aghast. "But, of course. You must not know about Robin, and Sir Guy.."
"Roana, my dear," Sir Edward appeared in the doorway, smiling. "What a wonderful surprise."
He had aged quite considerably in the twelve years since Roana has last seen him, and she barely managed to disguise her shock at his appearance. Where once he had stood tall and proud, he was now stooped, his hair grey and his face drawn. Roana returned his smile with her own.
"Hello, Sir Edward. Things have certainly changed in Locksley since I was last here."
"They have indeed, my child." Sir Edward's tone was solemn. "Now, we must bring you and your companion inside. Marian has much to tell you."

******

No matter the years that had passed, Knighton Hall held a warm nostalgia all of it's own, and, upon entering, Roana was instantly imbued with such a sense of calm and familiarity that the unsettling events in Locksley were pushed into the background. It was like walking into the past; the faded tapestries on the wall, woven by Marian's mother many years before; the fire crackling in the hearth; the fur rugs lining the bare stone floors. Roana recalled rainy afternoons spent playing hide-and-seek with Marian in the many rooms, most of them unused and echoey, yet kept spick-and-span by Sir Edward's housekeeper, Mabel. The former Sheriff and his daughter lead a modest life, not for want of money, but because Sir Edward wanted Marian to display humility, teaching her the importance of coping with life rather than riding on the coattails of privilege. He wanted her to have options in life beyond society's expectations of a young maiden.
Roana wondered how different her own life would have been if her father had allowed her to remain in Locksley with him and Robin. At the time, however, Sir Malcolm had been thinking only of his daughter, and providing her with the life he didn't think he could offer her. Although her aunt and uncle had given her the best that they possibly could, Roana couldn't help but imagine an alternative life, one that hadn't lead to her brother becoming a virtual stranger.
The character that Marian described was so far removed from the playful young boy she remembered. Robin was now a man, a crusader; former bodyguard to the king, and now a ruthless outlaw, intent on usurping the Sheriff of Nottingham.
"Your brother returned from the Holy Land to find Locksley in the hands of Sir Guy of Gisborne and Nottingham suffering under the Sheriff's strict regime. When Robin refused to do Vaisey's bidding by hanging four local men accused of petty crimes, the Sheriff outlawed him." Marian spoke of Robin with a radiant light in her eyes, her tone one of admiration and barely concealed glee. "He rescued the men and they took to Sherwood Forest, forming a gang of vigilantes who rob from the rich and give to the poor." She laughed aloud. "The Sheriff hates him, and longs to kill him, but Robin outwits him at every turn. The villagers love him."
Not only them, Roana thought to herself with amusement.
"My daughter admires his cunning nature, yet he leads a dangerous life, one that makes me fear for her at times." Sir Edward looked at Marian in despair.
"Am I to guess that you and my brother are... close?" Roana inquired, archly.
Marian laughed again, happily. "Roana, you have always been able to read me. Yes," she nodded, a glow to her face. "Yes, we are close. We were once betrothed, before he went to war. And now he is back.."
"I fear Robin will lead Mariah astray." Sir Edward spoke earnestly, his expression serious. "She has already jilted Sir Guy at the altar in favour of an outlaw. He will not be happy about this. I am afraid of the consequences."
Sir Guy, again! Who was this man who could instil such fear into the hearts of the most genuine of people?
"I keep hearing this name!" Roana exclaimed. "Who is Sir Guy?"
Marian sighed. "Guy is the Sheriff's master-of-arms. He has a sweet side that not many see, but he is also ruthless and, at times, downright evil. It is true; we were to marry. I made him a promise to wed him when the king returned to Nottingham." Marian shook her head, disappointment etched on her face. "But he lied to me about so many things, and, in the end, I just couldn't go through with it. My heart lies with another." She smiled, blushing prettily.
"It sounds like you had a lucky escape," Roana exclaimed. "Although I can certainly relate to your former predicament. I am betrothed to Sir William of Filey. It is a disaster, a huge disaster, and one that I can see no way out of."
Roana hid her face in her hands in despair, shaking her head.
"Oh, Roana!" Marian said, resting a hand on her shoulder.
"Oh, my dear," Sir Edward's voice was kind but contained a degree of worry. "William of Filey is a tyrant, just like his father. However have you got yourself into this mess?"
Alice spoke up from her vantage post near the window. "My lady had little choice, my Lord. Sir William's father rules Filey with an iron fist, and Lady Roana feared for her aunt and uncle's lives if she were to refuse his hand."
"I can well imagine," Sir Edward said, grimly. "William is a distant cousin of Vaisey's, and I hear that he is currently visiting Nottingham on business."
"That is why I am here," Roana replied. "He insisted that I accompany him on his travels. I was given little choice, but have longed to return to Nottingham for many years. It seemed like the perfect opportunity to visit family and old friends." She shrugged, helplessly. "However, I suspect I may have been tricked and that the nuptials will take place in Nottingham, without my aunt and uncle in attendance."
"Ah, another trickster," Marian nodded, sagely. "Nottingham is rife with them, it would seem." She grinned at Roana. "We have another wedding to put a stop to, then."
Roana laughed, delightedly, but thoughts of the impending wedding were beginning to fill her with such a sense of foreboding that it was becoming difficult to summon up any feelings other than helplessness and despair. If only Marian could help her, but Roana feared that there was no way out of this.
"Marian," Sir Edward warned. "Sir William is not a man to be trifled with. He is dangerous."
Marian smirked, and crossed the floor to peck him lightly on the cheek. "Father, since when has something as trivial as danger ever stopped me?"
Sir Edward sighed heavily and shook his head, but, before he could draw breath to argue, Alice and Marian both started at noise outside and hurried to the window.
"It's Guy," Marian hissed. "You must leave, immediately."
She turned to Roana, her expression serious.
"I'm assuming nobody knows of your connection to Robin and Locksley," she spoke urgently. Roana shook her head. "Then I suggest you move quickly. Go out the back way. I fear Guy is angry with me and may seek his revenge. It is best that he doesn't know of our connection just yet, as I am afraid it would jeopardise your own safety."
"We are leaving," Roana said, glancing at Alice, who moved across to join her. "But I must find my brother."
"Follow the Great North Road through Sherwood Forest. Robin will find you."