5. What had she done?

“To be brave is to love someone unconditionally, without expecting anything in return.”

~ Madonna

------------------

It was 5 o'clock in the morning and Swara had just taken a bath. There was always something so serene about the mornings, a charm that had always enticed her, keeping her captive for like forever. She was putting a small black bindi on her forehead at that very moment, when she heard a slight tapping on the windowsill of her room.

A gentle smile graced her features as she wasn’t expecting her morning guest to come to meet her, even though she was gone for months. However, she secretly wished to!

Sprinting towards the wooden table near the window, she grabbed her bag and took out some berries that she had plucked from the forests the day before. And no sooner she opened the window, a little bird flew in. Swara smiled as the bird sat on the table and whistled.

“How are you, Sultan? I’m fine. Thank you so much,” Swara chortled shaking her head. She knew it very well what Sultan’s whistle meant. All that this little one was concerned about were its berries. Chuckling, she placed those tiny blue roundels on the table and soon enough Sultan started munching them. It was a beautiful bright yellow and black colored bird, but what Swara loved the most about it was its yellow-black crest. It was very much like a crown and that was why Swara had named it Sultan, the king.

Swara had found the bird, battered and wounded, outside Home Sunshine one and a half years ago

Swara had found the bird, battered and wounded, outside Home Sunshine one and a half years ago. She brought it in and treated it which took her about a week. Once healed, she thought it would never come back, but it did return the very next morning and ever since then Sultan had been Swara’s early morning guest everyday.

Taking a seat on the chair beside the table, Swara rested her head on her hand placed on the table. “You know what, Sultan, Ragini seemed pretty tensed yesterday when I met her. She didn’t even seem happy that I have come back. Do you think I should go and give her a visit?” She asked caressing Sultan’s feathers near its beak and the little one tilted its head giving out a chirp.

Swara sighed, “I also think so but I was angry with her. Actually, not was, I am still angry at her. She got herself a boyfriend and didn’t even bother to tell me. You know, she hasn’t even told me his name yet. Is that fair?” She asked but all that had Sultan’s concentration were the berries. Ever since Sultan started giving her a visit, Swara plucked these berries for it from the nearby forest. She didn’t know whether Sultan understood her or not, but letting it all out in front of it brought her peace.

“You know what. No, I won’t. She has betrayed me. I have been her best friend for last fifteen years. Fifteen years! I had even shared my dairy milk with her when we met for the first time and yet she chose someone she had loved only for a few months over me. I. Won’t. Visit. Her. At any cost.”