𝟕. 𝐟𝐥𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐬

Start from the beginning

After staring a a foggy glass ball for an hour and seeing absolutely nothing, Elle was giddy with excitement as she strode down the the grounds to meet Madame Hooch. Everyone had bode her good luck as she nervously wrung  her hands together hoping that she wouldn't make a complete fool of herself. Fred and George had mentioned that Madame Hooch was a piece of work with Elle had never quite understood until she saw her standing importantly by the side of the castle eyeing her watch.

✰✰✰

She was stocky with short grey spiky hair and yellow eyes similar to that of a hawks. Beside her lay a shabby old broomstick and in her hand lay a more impressive one with a tapered tail and black paintwork. Elle walked over briskly worrying that her walk down from the top of the school may have made her late for this lesson. Nevertheless, Hooch gave her a smile as she walked over, it was a harsh smile with obvious judgement but Elle decided to brush it off as she approached.

"You must be Elle, correct?" The brunette nodded as Hooch gazed over her, "we'll get started right away then".
Elle had experienced a lot of one on one lessons this week with all of her teachers yet for some reason she had never been more nervous, her palms were sweating profusely which definitely wouldn't make flying easy. However as Hooch began to lecture her on flying she mentioned that not a lot of flying was likely to take place in the first lesson... which was a safety precaution of course.

"Since you are a third year I am more lenient to let you fly more than the first years... however you've never flown have you?" Elle shook her head as Hooch raised her eyebrows.
"If you just stand next to this broom with your hand outstretched" Hooch muttered, Elle repeated what she said and looked down at the broom which didn't look dissimilar to the ones she'd seen in the Halloween stores as a child.
"Now in a moment your going to say up and imagine the broom flying into your hand... this may take a couple of minutes"

"Up" Elle said clearly as was surprised as the broom immediately jumped up and collided with her palm, she stared back at Hooch who's expression hadn't changed,
"That does happen sometimes yes" she moved on quickly, "now if you mount the broom" Elle did so "and lift up the front end slightly you should feel yourself rising up... only hover a few inches off the floor, it's not difficult to control for most students".

Elle did exactly was was required easily with minimum effort and for a moment it seemed as though Hooch looked impressed but this vanished a moment later.
However she was definitely impressed when the hour was up. Elle had proven that despite never flying before in her life, she had the skills of someone who knew what they were doing. She'd done a few laps round the Quidditch pitch flying in circles keeping streamline to her broom as she whizzed around feeling the adrenaline coursing through her veins. It was a feeling she couldn't describe expect for saying that it felt like this is something that she was meant to do. She was obviously skilled at flying and although this didn't guarantee her a place on the Quidditch team this is all that entered her mind as she dismounted her broom in front of Hooch who was looking at her like a proud captain,
"Well that definitely wasn't what I expected" she smiled more warmly this time, "you definitely have a talent Elle".

✰✰✰

Elle said goodbye to Hooch and walked up to the castle for dinner confidently, little did she know that McGonagall had been watching out her office window for quite some time.
"There she is" Fred yelled as Elle walked over to the table and sat down next to Lee, "well how was it?" The twins said in unison. Elle couldn't keep her smile to herself showing everyone that it obviously went well.
"You're a natural I knew it" Alicia grinned "didn't I tell you all she'd be great... I should take over from Trelawney" she smiled proudly. Lee patted her on the back happily.