Chapter 2

Disclaimer: I do not own The O.C. or any of its characters. Everything belongs to FOX and Josh Schwartz.

Ryan's POV

I laid there on the bed. I didn't even bother to get under the covers as my body ached too much to move. I kept going in and out of consciousness. It might have subconsciously been because I was worried of either Kirsten or Sandy coming home early and finding me. Though, I was so uncomfortable and in too much to stay asleep. One minute it'd be 11:10 and then I'd wake up and it would be 11:49. I don't know what's worse: Not being able to stay asleep when you feel like crap or having to listen to a chemistry lecture when you feel like crap. Seth left me alone in here to suffer after our short conversation. I felt relieved as though I had asked, he couldn't stop talking. On the bright side, I had managed to convince him from telling his parents. So now I just had the task of actually keeping this from them. That can't be too hard, right?

Seth came back into the pool house later. It seemed so soon after he had left. "Feeling any better?" Seth asked.

"No." I replied, annoyed. Mostly because I couldn't seem to be able to get any rest. "I feel like crap."

"Well, yeah, I assumed that because when you are sick, you don't feel exactly great—you feel the exact opposite of great—which is what you said…" Seth rambled and then trailed off as he noticed the glare I was giving him to shut up. His blabbering was making my head spin.

"You feel like crap?" Seth asked. That felt like a stupid question to ask. And any answer I could respond with felt like an understatement.

"I thought we established that?" I eventually responded.

"Well if only there was something that you could help with that. Oh right, it is called medicine, which my parents could easily offer if you'd tell them you're sick." Seth says and I groan into my pillow before turning back to him.

"I'm not sick." I protested.

"I thought we established you were." Seth comments with a sarcastic gasp. "My bad."

"Seth!" I said, trying to sit up. I coughed and then winced as my body ached with every movement.

"Sorry, I'm not sneaking you medicine or anything. If you want to take care of yourself, you're free to do that."

"I was going to ask you to turn out the light." I said, weakly as I gave up and laid back down. I would do it, but I wasn't going to attempt moving. Sitting up was a struggle at the moment. I figured that wouldn't be a big deal for him since he was standing right next to light switch. There was a moment of silence before the room was darker and then I let myself slip into consciousness.

Seth's POV

I shook my head as I left the pool house. I didn't understand why Ryan was just going to suffer in silence alone. I guess he didn't realize how awesome being sick could be. Whenever I get sick, it's paradise. No school and my parents were at my beck and call. Getting and doing pretty much whatever I ask them to is great. At the very least, it certainly can lessen how horrible he'd feel. Ryan was seriously missing out. I didn't see what the whole 'being sick denial' point was.

I went into my room for a while. I found myself, constantly wondering about Ryan. I was concerned for his well-being and I was also curious to how long he would last before my parents would figure it out. He hasn't been here long and my mom—well—she could spot me sick from a mile away and that was before I even would have the chance to tell her. I didn't think he'll last through dinner without them figuring it out.