☠☜◊✙◊☞☠

The mansion's hall was eerily silent as I looked up the lushly carpeted oak staircase that led me to the second floor.

Taking Grace's heels off and holding them in my hand I started to climb the stairs, wondering if I would ever find Lucian in a place this big.

It felt weird to me.

Just the day before yesterday I felt like he was the most evil being on Earth. I panicked when he was near and we never spoke, let alone looked at each other.

But that changed. That changed the first time he sat behind me. No, the first time he showed up in my dreams because of that stupid book.

And now? Now I was looking for him to borrow his briefs for his jacuzzi.

I leaned my forehead against the cool wooden railing for a few seconds, grasping for reason.

If it were the old me I would've called a taxi home and hid under my blanket.

If it were the old me I would've ruined Grace and Charlotte's good time, convince them that fast food night was back on the menu if they came with me.

The new me. Wanted to find Lucian.

I was scaring myself.

With a new intake of breath I climbed the stairs to find the man that was going to take my soul.

All courage left me when I ascended the second floor of Lucian's mansion.

Portraits and portraits lined the two dark hallways. There were small lamps attached to the walls, giving everything a eerie glow.

There were two hallways and I gulped, setting a hand on my crazy beating heart as I decided which one to choose.

'Lucian?' I said into the darkness, instantly my voice was swallowed by emptiness.

I gulped again. Nothing could be heard from the party up here, it was really really silent.

My toes rubbed against the red carpet and I sighed. Maybe I just wouldn't get into the stupid jacuzzi. Parties weren't my style anyway.

I sulked silently, watching my toes.

A soft peal of laughter reached my ears.

My head snapped up, so suddenly that I felt like I'd twisted a neck muscle.

It had definitely come from my right.

Had Lucian come up with someone? Had... he brought a girl upstairs?

A feeling of unease overcame me and I slapped my palm against my head. I should be worried. God knows what he was going to do to her.

Easily making up my mind I walked down the right hallway, still too afraid to run as the people on the portraits seemed to follow my every move.

Just as I was about to turn around, voices drifted towards me. Soft. Hardly heard and I took a few more steps.

'... taking long...' the voice belonged to a woman.

'I know.... find a way....' that was certainly Lucian's voice, he sounded impatient.

'...not happy...' the woman's voice continued, her voice gave me the chills. It nearly seemed like she was threatening Lucian.

When I took another step closer there was silence.

And very slowly the last door of the hallway opened, light spilling onto the red carpet.