02. ride back to hogwarts

Start from the beginning

"Woah, what the-" Jeremiah spoke from beside her, causing her to look up at her surroundings.

In that moment, a sudden black fog filled the entire car, making it nearly impossible to see. It only lasted for ten seconds, but it left the group of Slytherins confused and disoriented.

"What just happened, Blaise?" Draco asked, standing up and frantically trying to find his friend.

"I have no idea." Blaise answered, coughing and fanning the black powder away from his face.

Just then, a small bag teetered from the overhead compartment. At first, Malia thought she was the only one to notice, but from across the table, Draco Malfoy shared the same expression she did.

The two quickly gazed at one another and made clear that they both had seen it.

"Oh, well." Daphne shrugged, "Probably just a first year."

"Take a seat, mate." Jeremiah Prince followed, speaking up to Draco. "We'll be at Hogwarts soon."

Rolling his eyes, the blonde boy took a seat and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Hogwarts, what a pathetic excuse for a school." Draco spat, looking out the window. "I think I'd pitch myself off the Astronomy Tower if I thought I had to continue for another two years."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Pansy Parkinson piped in, seated with Daphne Greengrass and Blaise Zambini at the table next to them.

"Lets just say I don't think you'll be seeing me wasting my time in Charms class next year."

Confused, Pansy quickly glanced at Blaise, who let out a light chuckle.

"Amused, Blaise?" Draco asked, lifting his eyebrow. "Well see just who's laughing in the end

Below the table, Malia Avery lightly kicked Draco's leg, sending him a look that signaled him to shut his mouth.

As the train slowed to a stop when arriving at Hogwarts, the students began to stand and collect their belongings. One by one, they exited the compartment and head towards the school.

"Are you two coming?" Daphne Greengrass asked, noticing Draco and Malia still seated in their compartment.

"We'll meet you there." Draco answered the blonde. "We have to check something first."

Nodding, Daphne left the train car with Blaise Zambini and Pansy Parkinson following close behind. However, Jeremiah Prince didn't seem as convinced.

"Hey, are you alright?" Jeremiah asked, a worried expression on his face. "What's going on?"

"I'm fine." Malia lightly smiled, lying straight through her teeth. "I just have to grab something and then I'll meet you in the Great Hall."

Jeremiah hesitantly shifted his gaze from his girlfriend's eyes to Draco Malfoy's. The boy wasn't dumb, he could tell that something was off between them. But, being the respectful boy he was, he simply nodded and exited the compartment without another word.

"Have you told him?" Draco asked after making sure Jeremiah had gotten off the train.

"No, of course I haven't." Malia quickly answered. "We promised we wouldn't tell anyone."

"Alright." Draco replied. "I was just making sure."

The girl frowned, "It just doesn't seem fair to keep this from him."

"You know what he would do if anyone got in the way, Malia." Draco explained. "We can't take that risk."

"I know." Malia sighed, pulling out her wand from her back pocket. The girl then proceeded to let the blinds down and shut the compartment door. "Let's just do this quickly."

"I can't believe he thought he could try to out smart us." Draco spoke aloud. "Didn't mummy ever tell you it was rude to eavesdrop, Potter?"

The blonde boy then pulled out his wand and spun to face the luggage rack, "Petrificus Totales!"

A figure then fell to the floor with a thud, the Invisibility Cloak slipping away and revealing Harry Potter - sprawled out on the compartment floor completely frozen.

"Oh, right, she was dead before you could wipe the drool off your chin." Draco continued with a look of disgust on his face. The boy then lifted his shoe and let it down on Harry's nose, an action followed by the sound of his bone cracking.

"Come on, Draco." Malia called, looking down at Harry's broken, bloody nose. "We have to go before the train leaves with us."

Draco nodded in agreement, taking one more glance down at the boy. "Enjoy your ride back to London."

He then threw the Invisibility Cloak back on Harry and grabbed his bag, following Malia out of the train car.

"Was that really necessary?" The girl spoke as they walked towards the castle.

"Yes." Draco replied, fixing his tie. "I've been wanting to do that for a while now."

"I know you have." Malia couldn't help but let out the tiniest giggle. The rivalry between the two really does amuse her.

However, that playful tone quickly went away as soon as she saw the lights of the castle appear in her view. It was then her content expression faded, and and certain sickness returned to her stomach.

Taking a deep breath, the girl then asked the boy beside her, "Draco, everything is going to be different this year, isn't it?"

Sighing, the boy nodded and replied, "Yes. We have to focus now and remember what we're here for."

Without another word, the two normally walked side by side towards the castle, almost as if for the last time.