Forty one

"We have new information on the Harry Styles case this afternoon," the news anchor says as everyone in the lunchroom at school simultaneously turns to watch the single TV mounted on the wall

"We have new information on the Harry Styles case this afternoon," the news anchor says as everyone in the lunchroom at school simultaneously turns to watch the single TV mounted on the wall. "A broken mirror was found in the former Styles residence, displaying horrific blood stains on the baseboard. Whose blood is it? How was the mirror broken? We talk now to the detective heading the case, Jennifer Whitmore."

The anchor turns to Detective Whitmore, who sits at the news desk with her, her hands folded. "So, Detective Whitmore," the anchor says. "Can you tell me more about the mirror?"

"It's a rectangular frame that seems quite old, very ornate," Whitmore says. "The baseboard, like you said, did have faint blood stains on it. Additionally, the baseboard is ever so slightly protruding out, which suggests Mr. Styles was slammed back against this mirror. However, we don't know for sure."

"Has any DNA testing been done on the blood?"

"Yes. We were able to determine the blood stains were from Harry Styles."

"What does this mean for the future of the case?"

"Not sure," Whitmore says. "We've got a bunch of loose ends that lead in different directions, but nothing very conclusive."

"Thank you for your brief interview, Detective."

"Glad to be here." Whitmore half smiles.

"Weather forecast for next week after the break. Could we be in for a winter blast?"

The entire cafeteria is silent for a few moments as the news rolls into commercials, the first one depicting an entirely too happy elderly man advertising the best dish soap around.

Slowly, conversation starts to build again.

"I don't even wanna know anything conclusive," Ria says, shaking her head. "I can't believe any of this."

"I can't believe someone would do that to him," Jenna says.

Ava sits beside me quietly, her chin resting in her palm.

"I was out of town when it all happened," Ria says. "I left the day after school ended to go stay with my dad and when I came back someone told me he had committed suicide."

"Suicide," Jenna says, wrinkling her nose in confusion. "That's crazy. Why would Harry commit suicide?"

"Clearly he didn't," Ava snaps suddenly. "Since the autopsy specified the death as homicidal."