Aunt Amaya's Lost Bread

Start from the beginning

A couple of hours later, Ellis arrived with a tray of eggs, a carton of milk, a small shaker of salt and pepper, and three loaves of stale bread.

As Callum began to assemble the cookware he got from Lujanne - which raised a question why the Moon mage has all the kitchen tools in mint condition but not even a single edible human food - Ezran nudged his arm to grab his attention. "We're supposed to fry the Lost Bread, right?"

"Yup. Just like how Aunt Amaya cooks hers."

"But Callum," his brother frowned. "We don't have butter for frying...or even oil."

Oh.

Oh shit.

They forgot the freaking butter!

"We can go back if you like," Ellis suggested as she climbed Ava's back again, smiling. "We don't mind."

"Are you sure?" the elder prince asked. "We don't want to impose you."

"Don't worry, it's not a big deal!" the girl chirped back casually with a toothy grin. "Besides, we're curious to taste your Aunt Amaya's Lost Bread. Right, Ava?"

The wolf responded with an enthusiastic bark.

"See, Ava's excited too!"

"Thank you, guys," Ezran sighed with relief. "We'll make sure to double your servings. Same goes to you, Ava."

"You better keep your promise!"

Few minutes after Ava and Ellis left, Rayla approached them with a baby dragon tucked on her side.

"Zym!" Ezran exclaimed when the dragon suddenly tackled him to the ground. "We're still not done making our Aunt Amaya's Lost Bread!"

Zym puffed some air from his nostrils.

"But I can't play with you right now. Unless Callum..." the boy paused for a bit then looked at his brother with puppy eyes. "Can I play with him instead?"

Callum eyed their ingredients that were laid on the long table with consideration. Making a Lost Bread was easy, and he could use it as an opportunity to teach him how to crack eggs properly. But then he knew they would make a mess, and their ingredients weren't plenty.

"You can go and play with him, Ez. I can manage this."

"Really?" the young prince rushed towards him then hugged his torso. "Best brother ever!"

Callum rolled his eyes as he patted his brother's wild mane, then noticed Rayla's pursed grin. "What?"

"Nothing," she responded casually.

The dragonling squealed happily, dragging the young prince away for some playtime, while Bait waddled behind them with a grunt.

"So, Lost Bread?" he nodded at her inquiry.

"We forgot the butter," Callum explained when the elf took a seat across him. "Good thing Ava and Ellis were considerate enough to go back to the town again."

"That's pretty kind of them," she commented, observing how the older prince sliced the stale bread into bite sizes. "I didn't know that princes can cook."

"Eh, just basic stuff. Nothing too fancy," he shrugged nonchalantly without glancing at his companion.

"So you know how to prepare your Aunt Amaya's Lost Bread?"

"Well, not really? I'm just eyeballing everything and preparing these just like how Aunt Amaya prepared hers. Crack enough eggs, add a splash of milk, a sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste I guess. Then I'm going to dump these bread slices to the mixture and let it soak there for a while, probably just enough until Ava and Ellis arrive with the butter."