10

——

10 - Flower Crown

——

The next day was a Thursday. Charlie was sat on the grass by the lake telling Sam, Abby Fletcher and Oliver Marsh (one of Sam's few friends in Slytherin) about his tutor session with Remus last night while the other three smirked at his pain and ploughed their way through a box of sweets that Oliver's Mum had sent him in the post that morning. It was after classes and the majority of the school was relaxing on the grassy lawns, soaking up the remaining summer weather before it became colder. Hestia wasn't with them as she currently 'studying' with some Ravenclaw boy she'd been crushing on since third year.

     "-and then I kissed his cheek." Charlie finished and hid his face in his hands as his cheeks burned crimson.

     "You did what?!" Sam shouted excitedly, drawing the attention of the few students near them, including the Marauders.

     "Shut up Samantha." Oliver hissed. "Do you want to whole school to hear? No? Then be quiet."

     Sam glared at him and crossed her arms in a way that usually promised pain. "Don't. Call. Me. Samantha."

     Oliver merely smirked at her and raised a dark blue eyebrow in challenge. Charlie wasn't going to lie, it was kind of hot.

     "Anyway," Oliver continued, turning back to Charlie. "You say that like it's a bad thing."

     "It is a bad thing!" Charlie exclaimed. "We've only just become friends and now I've probably scared him off with my gayness!"

     "Stop saying that like being gay is a bad thing." Sam chided him sternly.

     Charlie looked down at the ground and absentmindedly pulled out some grass and then sprinkled it on the ground. "Sorry."

     Abby sighed when she saw that the two older students were doing a terrible job at soothing Charlie's nerves. She decided to put them all out of their misery and step in. "Charlie, stop worrying. He doesn't hate you, if anything, he likes you even more now. Like he like, likes you."

     She used her hand to tilt his head upwards so she could place the flower crown that she'd been making on his head. For once, Charlie wasn't wearing a beanie hat, mainly because Sam had insisted it wasn't hat weather and had forced him to take it off and return it to his dorm before they left. Abby grinned happily when she saw it fitted him perfectly.

"I don't know Abby." Charlie muttered doubtfully. Abby sighed and mentally facepalmed at his obliviousness. Boys.

Charlie looked at the ground again as he picked more grass, causing his flower crown to fall forwards until it was resting on his forehead instead of on his hair. Oliver smacked his hand away from the ground and forced him to look forwards instead of downwards as he fixed the flower crown so it was in the right position, muttering under his breath in an annoyed tone about Abby's hard work and Charlie ruining it.

Abby rolled her eyes and glanced at the Marauders, who were sat a few meters away by the very edge of the lake. James and Sirius were having a water fight while Peter cheered them on and Remus was sat with his back against a tree reading a book. Well, he looked like he was reading a book at first glance, but Abby had noticed that he'd look up from 'reading' every few seconds to stare at Charlie, which of course - with Charlie being the oblivious boy he is - Charlie hadn't noticed.

Remus glanced up from his book again (for what Abby noted with amusement, was the eighth time in the past three minutes) and noticed that Charlie was now wearing a flower crown made out of ... well, Remus actually wasn't sure what type of flowers they were, he wasn't exactly a flower expert. It was the same flower crown he'd seen the small Slytherin first year making a few moments ago. Charlie made it look hot.