Epilogue

Epilogue; The Diary of a Rockstar::

Jade stepped into Clare's apartment after her dark and dreary Sunday.  She'd cried as much as she thought she could.  She flopped down into the beige armchair, smoothing out the bottom of her dress.  She looked at the side table and spotted the red notebook she'd taken from Mike's SUV before they'd towed it away th day before.  She hadn't been able to open it then.  She'd just held it to get chest and sobbed loudly, rocking back and forth on the living room floor while Clare showered.  He'd begged them to make sure she got that book between fighting to keep his heart beating.  And so she'd taken it from his back seat and jept his dying wish.  She looked down at it's worn cover, her eyes tired.  She opened to the first page and saw in Mike's handwriting:

"If you're reading this before its completion, I beg that you make sure Jade gets this book.  There is nothing more important in the world."

She took a deep breath and turned to the second page and read the date marked on the top right hand corner.  August 19th, 2008.  Just two days after he'd received the little blue notebook from her.  She read the words he'd written.

"There isn't anything in this world that has intrigued me as much as the young woman in the diary did.  I'm writing this book back to you as a way to show you that I read YOUR book and I care,  even if no one else does.  So, I suppose I'm just as crazy as you are.  That makes us two peas in a pod, right? I'll write more later. Getting ready to do a show. -Mike"

She licked her lips and closed her eyes, catching her bearings for a moment before plowing on.  Then she put her eyes back to the writing and began to read everything he'd written.  She came to the entries he'd made into his personal diary to her from the week before.

"September 8, 2008: I truly met you today.  I know that sounds stupid to say because I met you a little under a month ago, but I truly looked at you as a person and not just a fan today.  You seem more broken than I could have ever imagined.  And you're determined to never let anyone in.  'Everyone goes away in the end.'  That's what you told me.  Trust me when I say I'm going to do everything in my power to never go away.  I promise you. -Mike"

She took a deep breath, trying to keep her tears at bay and turned the page.

"September 12, 2008: As I watch you sleeping peacefully next to me on the plane back to California, I find myself wondering about all the amazingly horrible things that could have happened to you for you to shut me out the way you do.  I can't imagine what sort of pain you had to go through to lose your faith in other people.  I want you to be okay.  I'm going to try.  That's all I can do. -Mike"

"September 14, 2008: You met someone today.  I've seen Clare at a few other events that I've held.  I was hoping you might be friends with her, but you seem to be pushing people away more and more.  God, I just want you to be okay.  Please try to let someone in. Try to be closer to me and I'll save you. -Mike"

Jade studied the writing on the page for a moment.  He truly did care about everything that happened to her.  No matter what she wanted to believe.  She sighed and turned to the next page, reading a few more entries before one stuck hard with her.  It was his very last entry.

"September 17, 2008: You told me everything today.  There are so many things I want to say to you and so little language to get it out in.  Jade, no one deserves the things you've had to endure.  Why a parent would let their child suffer in silence is beyond me.  But I want you to know this.  I am always here.  No matter how close together or far apart we might be.  I would give up my life to make sure you were safe and finally happy.  I would die for that.  You ARE going to be okay.  I promise you that.  When you don't believe that anymore, look back at this book and remember: you are reading the diary of a rockstar.  I've come across millions of people in my life and you are, by far, the strongest.  If you can get through this pain, you can do anything.  You just have to believe it and fly with my under the wings I gave you.  I love you, Jade.  More than you will ever know.  -Mike"

Jade's chest felt like it might shatter.  She stared own at the words, "I love you, Jade," and her heart overflowed.  She couldn't understand why this person who had helped her so much, who she had loved, had to be taken from her.  But then she realized that he had served his ultimate purpose in this world.  He'd lived to save her.  He'd lived to make sure she was okay.  And once he'd done that, he was one of God's angels.  She let a tiny sob escape her throat and hugged the book to her chest.  She believed him.  She knew she was going to be okay.  She took a deep breath in, held back her tears, and slowly stroked the cover of the diary of a rockstar.

The End.