Chapter 11

Chapter 11; Everything I Do::

Jade drew in a deep breath, opening her eyes against the welcoming light of morning and flexed her fingers under the pillow, over the cool fabric of the sheets beneath her.  The her mess of hair hung limply in her face and she lifted a small hand to brush it away.  She lifted her head and drug her chin acoss her white pillow.  Mike lay spread out on his stomach next to her, his bearded face smooshed lightly into the pillow under his head.  His bare arm was trailing under it, pushing it close to his head for more support.  He breathed in and out deeply with sleep, his mouth open.  Jade rolled onto her back and sat up gently, lifting the cream colored comforter with her body.  It fell from Mike as well and she looked back down at him to notice he'd shed his black under-shirt in his sleep.  She stood up slowly from the bed and padded across the room to her duffle where she pulled out a pair of short, black athletic shorts and a white tank top, along with her under garments.  She glanced at the clock on the iPod dock on the bedside table and saw that it was only 8:13 in the morning.  She'd just let Mike sleep.  She walked to the bathroom, shut the door with a quiet snap, slung Mike's now dry shirt over the back of the toilet, and then turned on the shower.  The hot water soothed her aching brain.  She washed her hair with lavendar scented shampoo and conditioner, and then climbed out of the shower to towel off.  She wiped the steam away from the mirror and looked at herself as she ran a brush through her hair.  She looked at her face closely.  She noticed, for the first time in a long time, her eyes as Mike had pointed them out the night before.  Big, bright, and blue.  She blinked a few times, and then took a few moments to pamper herself before dressing and blow drying her hair before throwing it up into a messy ponytail and swiping her bangs away from her eyes.  She opened the door and stepped out to see Mike still sleeping soundly on the bed, having not moved an inch.  She sat down at the in-room desk and pulled her laptop from her bag for the first time that week.  For as long as she could remember, her laptop had been her lighthouse in the sea of storms where she lived.  The Acer notebook had a silver top covered with stickers that included a black DC shoe company square, a music note, several smilie face stickers her niece had given her, and a pink ball from her favorite charity site, SocialVibe.  She ran a hand over the stickers and then opened the lid, letting it whir to life.  She typed away for a few hours, doing nothing in particular, except listening to music through her white earbuds and chatting for a bit with Clare, who was sitting boredly in her apartment.  She glanced down at the clock on her laptop, which read 10:43 and then heard movement from the bed.  She looked up, her bangs falling into her eyes.  Mike lifted up on his elbow and glanced backward at her, sitting cross-legged on the desk chair.  She smirked at him and his sleep-blemished face. 

"Morning." She pulled her headphones from her ears.

"What time is it?" She looked at the clock again.

"About a quarter 'til 11." He fell face first back into the pillow and then huffed.

"How long have you been up?"

"Since about 8." He chuckled into the pillow.

"Why'd you let me sleep so long?"

"You looked like you were enjoying yourself." He snorted and then sat up in the bed, standing up.  He rubbed the back of his neck, stretching.  He bent and scooped his black shirt off the floor, shaking it out and pulling it over his head.

"I need to go home and get a shower."

"You want me to go with you?" He shook his head, tying his shoe.

"Nah. With any luck, she'll have gone to her mother's like she said she was going to."  Jade nodded, looking down at her keyboard.

"Don't forget your shirt." He nodded and then stepped into the bathroom to grab it.  He trudged back out and looked at her.