The twins sit on the porch steps, waiting for the other teenagers to arrive. Everybody had volunteered the Shepards' place as the meeting point, based on the fact that no adults would be around.

"Hopefully it doesn't rain," Billie says, staring up at the sky, where storm clouds still hovered overhead, like an annoyance. 

Curly snorts. "We really talking about the weather? Are we boring forty years old?" 

Billie nudges Curly in the side with her elbow. "Shut up." She can't help but laugh at her twin. 

Curly laughs along, wrapping Billie in a headlock. She squeals, trying to wriggle her way out of Curly's grip. "Let go!" 

The sound of footsteps and voices approaching the Shepard residence causes Curly to release Billie from his headlock. Billie sits upright, fixing her hair, which she had let Angela manipulate into soft curls with joy. Angela had been so happy when Billie had asked her for help, and afterwards, when Angela had pleaded Billie to let her do Billie's nails, Billie couldn't say no. 

A voice in the back of Billie's mind had wondered what Ponyboy would think when he saw her, with her dark hair curled and her nails a bright red. This wasn't a side to herself that Billie was used to, but as she looked at herself in the mirror after Angela was finished, she liked it. 

"Billie? Is that you?" Laura asks as she climbs up the stairs and hugs Billie. 

Billie hugs her back. "Does it look weird?" she asks, now unsure.

Laura shakes her head, her eyes wide. "No! I meant it in a good way. You look pretty."

"Thanks," Billie replies, smiling. 

She hugs Leo, who whispers in her ear, "Ponyboy doesn't know what he's missing out on."

Ponyboy and Johnny Cade arrive shortly. Billie waves hello to Johnny, who waves shyly before staring at his shoes. Ponyboy walks over to Billie, smiling softly at her. "Hi," he says. 

"Hi," Billie responds softly.

"You look really pretty," Ponyboy tells her. 

Billie's cheeks flush as her heart does somersaults in her chest. "Thanks. You look nice."

"Not as nice as you," Ponyboy says, hands in the pockets of his denim jacket as he looks away at the pavement, his neck turning red. 

Suddenly, Billie understands the appeal of boys. She understands what Angela means about boys. Especially when they make you feel special by complimenting you. Not once, but twice. 

Scott, Dean and Lloyd all arrive together. Lloyd has a grimace on his face as he sees Ponyboy and Johnny. "What are they doing here?" he asks, not even bothering to hide his displeasure. 

Billie sees the crestfallen looks Ponyboy and Johnny have as they look to the ground. It makes Billie frown, anger pooling in her veins. "We invited them and we want them here. If you don't like it, leave. I don't care," he snaps at Lloyd, glaring furiously at him. She's tired of Lloyd's unpleasant attitude, always sticking his nose at everybody and everything else without realising that he's the problem. He's foul, vulgar and not the type of person Billie wants to be around. Especially when he upsets the people Billie cares about. 

How can Curly be friends with someone like him? 

The others snicker discreetly, unlike Laura who laughs loudly. She stops when Leo nudges her in the side. Lloyd's eyes are wide in surprise, not expecting timid and reserved Billie Shepard to stand up to him. She can imagine what Lloyd is thinking: since when did Billie Shepard grow a spine?