19 | a late night visit

WARNING: mentions/descriptions of violence and gore

The week drags by slowly, as Billie and Laura sit by themselves in a different spot each day to avoid the boys. Laura had told Billie on the second day that Leo didn't agree with what they were doing. Laura had said to Leo that he didn't understand what this was all about, then.

Although Billie's glad Laura has her back — nobody beside her siblings have really stood up for her, she misses the boys. Even Ponyboy, who's broken her heart without even realising. She misses Leo and Scott arguing over their own versions of football and bonding with Ponyboy over their classes and pulling faces at Socs behind their backs.

"Boys ain't shit," Laura announces to Billie on Friday during lunch. "They're good for nothing."

Billie hums in agreement absentmindedly as she takes a bite out of her peanut butter and jelly sandwich. She's grateful for Laura supporting her, she really is, but she misses the boys. She misses the feeling of belonging to a friendship group. It's a really, really good feeling. One she's hardly experienced in her life.

"You're quiet," Laura comments, "more so than usual. Is everything okay?"

Billie nods her head, "yeah it is."

Laura frowns as she says, "don't tell me you're thinking about Ponyboy." She crinkles her nose as she says Ponyboy's name. "He's not worth it."

"I can't help it. I like him," Billie replies.

"We need to get your mind off him," Laura declares, "tomorrow in the afternoon, come to my house. We'll hang out together."

"Sounds good," Billie says with a smile as Laura writes down her address on a scrap piece of paper for Billie.

The banging of the fly screen door wakes Billie up from her sleep with a start

The banging of the fly screen door wakes Billie up from her sleep with a start. The frantic knocking of knuckles on the fly screen continues, speeding up as Billie rushes out of her room, heart pounding in her ears as she runs to the door.

Billie gasps with horror. Ponyboy's standing — barely — on the other side of the door, bloodied and bruised.

Billie pushes open the door and guides Ponyboy in, ignoring the feeling that she's going to be sick at the sight of Ponyboy.

Despite seeing Tim come home worse covered in blood from a rumble that turned dirty very, very quickly, seeing Ponyboy in this state makes Billie's stomach turn.

She guides Ponyboy to sit on the sofa gently. He has cuts on his forehead, jaw, cheekbone and one on his neck — which suspiciously looks like from the end of a switchblade. His arms are covered in small grazes, most likely from being pushed into gravel. Dark bruises that are shaped like fingers mark his upper arms. His jeans are ripped at the knees, revealing scraped knees. Billie can only imagine what his stomach and back looks like.