Chapter 2: My Job

Start from the beginning

"No, you idiot!" I yell at him, again. "The Shadow Web has killers, stalkers, 'The Red Room'!" I try not to laugh at his guessing.

"What's 'The Red Room'?" He stands up, walking around the living room/kitchen area.

"The Red Room is a room that people get tortured in on live feed." I say, quietly this time. "Look, this guy is bad news. If you really want to work with him, then work with him. Just don't go crying to me if he stabs you with a knife or something...." I sit at the computer, turning it on.

"Alright, alright..." I hear him say. His footsteps going towards the door. "But....you have my back, right, Katelyn?" His voice a little shaky.

I sigh. "Yeah, Jay. I do. I always do..." And I heard him open and close the front door. Before I could figure out why my brother chose to work with this mysterious guy, I start to have a coughing fit once again. Damn. If I knew Jay was coming over, I would've asked him to bring my medication... I get up off the desk chair, grab my car keys, and head out the door.
———————————————

I hate hospitals. It's full of death. At least, the smell of it. Old people walk around like they need help at all times, when really, they don't. It's ridiculous, but I don't work here, or have any business here, so I stick to my own feelings for a couple of seconds and then let it go.

Getting that thought out of my head, I find a doctor standing near the front desk, but not too close to it. I can only see the back of the doctor. Looking around, I notice that the front desk is all occupied. My legs move on their own, and I'm headed towards the doctor. He seems to be doodle dawdling around. Is he a real doctor?

"Excuse me." I say aloud, making sure the doctor heard me.

The doctor turns around, and all I see first is the giant creepy smile plastered onto his face. A man with dark brown hair, slicked back perfectly, stands before me. He wears a white coat over the white button down shirt, along with a bright red tie. And that's when I realized....

"Ah, Officer! Glad to see you again!" He yells aloud.

Shit...

I mentally cringe and look down at the ground, also mentally slapping myself in the face. How did I not recognize him? Another thought pops up into my mind. He never gave me his name...I should ask him later.

"Hi...." I say, almost quietly.

"What can I do for you? You look quite pale, is there something you need?" He starts to tackle me with questions.

"Yes!" I yell, making him look at me in shock. "I need my medication, but I can't get any until I get my appointment done and over with. A check up, I should say."

The man laughs, then puts his hand on my back, guiding me to the front desk. "Krystal!"

The lady named looks over at him. "Tanner. What can I do for you?" She looks down, i'm guessing to look over her glasses.

So his names Tanner...

"My friend here, Officer Grimes, is needed of assistance. Please help her out, would you?"

"Of course. Please step forward, Miss Grimes." I step forward towards the desk, giving Tanner an odd glance before facing the woman. Tanner walks off with a big smile on his face, and a small skip in his step. What an odd man he is...
————————————————
An hour later, and I'm still sitting in this damned check up room. A small room with a small bed, and a small counter with a sink. My coughing hasn't stopped, and I'm needing that medication fast. I also need to get to work. My...personal job. Since I've been here for so long, I've decided to think about my next victim.

A woman named Makayla Corean is a mother of two children. A son, who's in his teens, and a daughter, who's 9-years-old. I've seen her around the mall, most of the time, and a diner with friends. She doesn't seem to have a husband, but a boyfriend, for sure. She abuses her children, and leaves them unattended when leaving with her boyfriend. She steals their money, too.

"Damn, this woman is not a mother I'd want..." I say aloud.

A knock at the door makes me jump, but the doctor who came through it made me frown. "Where's my doctor? Why are you here?"

Tanner, with his creepy smile, hands me a medication bottle. "Doctor Mallard has asked me to give this to you. This is your medication."

I look at the small, orange bottle in my hand. "This can't be right. It's too much. More than what I originally take." I slightly question.

"He says it had to be changed. Your symptoms seem to be worse." He says, playfully. He leans in closer to me. "It's A Doctors Prescription, so I suggest you take them." And he leaves.

This guy.....is really pissing me off.

I sigh in defeat and head out of the building. I need to get home, anyways. Things to do.

******
A doctor opens a door while looking at the prescription bottle in his hand. "Alright! Here it is! Sorry for the long..." looking up, he notices that the room is empty. "Wait...." he drawls out, confusion laced in his voice. He turns to a nurse walking by in the hallway. "Nurse! Has my patient been moved?"

The nurse looks at him with a smile. "Doctor Mallard! I'm afraid she left. Doctor Tanner has given her the prescription. Saying you asked him to?" She questions him, making sure the information is right.

"Doctor Tanner? Who's that? I didn't tell anyone to give anyone anything." He says unconsciously. Realizing what he said, he shakes his head. "You know what I mean." He says, noticing the nurses odd look.

She shrugs at the doctor. "I don't know, Doctor Mallard. I just saw her leave. Maybe call her to ask." And she goes on her way down the hallway.

The doctor walks down the hallway as fast as he could. He needs to call her, and fast.

******

Closing my front door behind me, I quickly run to the kitchen and grab a glass of water. Taking two pills, I head back to my computer.

After getting what information I needed, I get out of my computer and grab my keys, jacket, and gun. "Alright, Makayla. Your gonna be in a world of hurt..."