Disappointment.

"You are just like your brother," eomma said as my dead eyes bored into her, "Good for nothing piece of shit."

We didn't have any familial interactions after that until they died in a car accident. I didn't shed tears, nor feel any remorse while looking at their picture.

Their life span ends, that's how it is.

They chose the head, but the coin landed as the tail.

It will be a waste of time to mourn.

I was zoning out for a moment when someone patted my head. When I looked at who it was, I saw a familiar man with familiar features. He sat beside me as his hand rested on my back, his expression showing pure empathy.

My older brother.

"It's okay. Everything will be okay," he said. Curiosity drew on my face.

Do I look sad in his eyes?

"From now on, you'll live with me," he declared, "Is that fine with you?"

I look back at my eomma and appa's picture and nod. As if I had a choice, he was the only family member I had, so it was only sensible that I would live with him.

"Since you will live with me, call me hyung."

I nodded, my eyes still dead and bored to care.

"Hyung."

AFTER two weeks, I moved to a new environment. Hyung's apartment was way smaller than the mansion's living room, but I appreciate the sense of modern architecture. It's neat and good for three people.

While familiarizing myself, I noticed that he did not keep any photos of eomma at appa around the house, just books, and some paintings. He probably hated them for abandoning him. I can't blame him for that.

"Here's your room," he said and opened a door next to his.

I scanned around, it was probably a guest room.

I know your old room was larger than this," he said while scratching his head, a hint of inferiority in his tone.

"It's fine," I said as I lay on top of the mattress, "You don't have to apologize for such a little thing."

He didn't respond for a while.

"I'll prepare our dinner," he said, "Make yourself at home."

Rats multiply easily, they won't go extinct if we kill one.

We, human beings, are at the top of the food chain.

We should not waste that advantage.

MY eyes jolted open with those words lingering in my sanity.

I sneaked out of my room to get some water. It's been a week since I moved in. I don't know if this is my way of coping with loss. But isn't it questionable that instead of sweet moments, THOSE words are the one that haunts me?

I came to halt when I noticed that the kitchen light was on. I proceeded not a minute later but my steps were now calculated. When I arrived, I saw hyung writing notes. I don't know what he is writing down at 2 am but I'm curious so I went to see up close.

He was startled for a moment when I popped from the dark, "Min Seok!"

"Water."

Hyung obliged and left his notes just to get me a glass of water. I used that opportunity to peek.