⎯ 18 ⎯

oikawa tooru,

i narrowed my eyes slightly at chikasue, she was like a different person. my heart swelled at the sight of her distant expression and i felt even further away from her.

so many questions swam in my head, i wanted to know why she's been so stressed recently, it hurt to see her like this but a part of me screamed to know why she kissed me.

i gave a small smile before leaving the nurse's office, ignoring the wretching feeling that came with telling myself that she probably needed space.

still early in the morning, the halls were empty and quiet, my thoughts echoed through the cold air as i began overthinking everything.

a short minute passed in utter silence before i heard a pair of footsteps quickly approaching me but i couldn't even turn around, i was suddenly hit with an unexpected but harmless force that knocked me to the ground.

wh⎯?!'

looking up, my eyes landed on chikasue.

"a-at least pretend to care about me?! what was that?" she began, averting her eyes while anger poured out of her. "do you hate me now or something??"

speechless, i stayed still.

"'sorry that i pressured you' my ass!" she coughed out, recalling my words. "i mean i get it, you're ignoring me because i kissed you, right?!"

"you're giving me mixed signals here! one minute you act like you care and the next you- hit me in the face with a volleyball!!"

chikasue looked at me with furrowed brows and flushed cheeks, hair stuck to her face and her eyes were stained with tears. guilt swamped me once i saw her expression up close and her words began to pierce me.

her usually composed nature was replaced by a something completely different but i recognised it. i recognised it from last night, the face i saw when she pulled away from the abrupt kiss.

"i should've said something," she choked out "-i should've said something when you asked but..."

"aren't we supposed to be friends?! no wait- aren't we supposed to be soulmates?!" barely a whisper, she finished right on cue as tears began rolling down her cheeks and my heart shattered.

movement finally reaching my limbs and i sprung up from the ground. words stuck in my throat and my heart was pounding loudly but while i formed my words i enveloped chi-chan in a hug, burying her into my chest.

i looked on at the hallway with concern painted across my face while chikasue's stress melted with the sobs that shook her body.

i'm so stupid.'

i told myself that she needed time and that i was only annoying her by sticking to her so much. so many doubts swarmed me that i forgot about what i knew for certain.

chikasue and i are soulmates.'

--

"owww! again?!"

"she's probably getting back at you for the other day," iwaizumi grinned at my suffering.

"what happened the other day?" i shook my hand to relieve the pain.

iwaizumi stared at me blankly for a minute. "you fell over after you're jump serve and got a massive bruise on your arm."

"oh yeah!" i beamed but my smile faltered when i saw iwaizumi's face.

"i swear your soulmate hates you..."

i pouted at him before looking back at my palms.

"i don't mind it that much," a small smile crept on my face. "it's like a reminder that there's someone there."

"doesn't work very well by the looks of it."

--

"you're crushing me," chikasue mumbled softly into my sleeve but i didn't pull away.

i'm sorry...'

"i promise i won't leave you alone again." i whispered. the only reply i received from chi-chan was her arms gradually snaking around my back to return my hug.

20.09.20
✎﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

wow okay i finally got this chapter out after rewriting it several times. i hope it wasn't too underwhelming.

thank you the continued support and patience even if i think my chapters suck <3 i don't deserve y'all, your comments make my day :)