Chapter 22: Brave New World

Start from the beginning

You sure you don't need our help, Luffy?"

Usopp smirked behind the wall, keeping himself and the others hidden. Their 'captain' had a serious expression on his face that they only get to see when the matter involved his friends, especially Nami. Robin thought that it was just a coincidence, but Luffy really tended to be more fearsome when the orange haired navigator was involved.

Zoro and Jinbe remained silent as Robin observed the people on the other side. Nojiko was long gone so they didn't come across her.

"I think I can handle them," Luffy stated, putting his hat on his head. "but you can take down the fodders."

"Sweet!" the self-proclaimed marksman chuckled.

Jinbe turned to Luffy. "Luffy, remember the plan?"

"Yup!"

Almost in sync, the nine of them inhaled. Brook chuckled at this, and he asked, "Ready, Luffy?"

The raven haired boy simply nodded and he ran towards the amphitheatre. Everybody, except Robin, facepalmed. Chopper called out to their captain. "Luffy, this is not part of the plan!!"

Of course, it was not part of the plan. Jinbe didn't say anything about breaking in. "Is he always like this?"

"He's a meathead," Zoro stated calmly. "well, I'm going then."

"No!" Sanji exclaimed.

Zoro glared at him.

"Let him be," Robin scoffed. "it's Nami we're talking about."

With that, no other objections were spoken by anybody as what their de facto archaeologist suggested; they were dealing with matter involving Nami, and Luffy must be the one who helps her overcome it.

Inside, a ruckus was building.

"Luffy!" Nami called angrily as the raven haired boy had threw a rather strong punch to a certain Bellamy. "Stop, Luffy!"

Again, he wasn't listening. "What did you do to her...?"

Bellamy simply chuckled and touched the wound on his left cheek. "All that for a drop of blood."

"ANSWER ME!"

Thinking to hell with it, Nami grabbed her Clima-Tact out of nowhere and extended it as she stepped between Luffy and Bellamy. She had it twirling violently using her hands and it deliberately hit her friend.

"Luffy, I told you to stop!"

"Nami..."

"I already decided so don't ruin this for me!" she exclaimed.

Luffy could see the emotionless, dull eyes of hers. He was simply listening to whatever she had to say.

"You received the message, didn't you? Then why are you barging in to my business all over again?!"

Bellamy let out a hearty laugh; he was certainly enjoying the fact that Nami was pushing away her only ray of hope. "You heard her, Strawhat. Now get lost."

"I didn't ask for your help," Nami added and turned to Luffy, still keeping the cold expression on her face.

But she was wrong. On the time they were on the roof top, and Nami was silently suffering, Luffy had heard her little whispers. And that's exactly what he had in mind.

"Yes...you did," Luffy blurted out.

She gasped. Tears started falling from her eyes. "Y-You misheard me! I didn't-"

"Don't worry, Nami." Luffy breathed. "I'll go beat this guy up then we'll be all together again."

===

"Guys, Nami's here!!!"

CHOPPER EXCLAIMED AS an orange haired girl walked towards them, wearing a faint smile on her lips. Their circle gathered in the rooftop in accordance to Luffy's triumph over Bellamy, while also celebrating Nami's return. More importantly, she was there to-

"Nami-san, now that you're back..." Brook cleared his throat. "may I see your panties?"

"Over my dead body!"

Luffy turned grumpily from the rails as the others were cheering on Nami whole she beat Brook up. She was truly back.

"Oi Nami!" he brought out his phone.

Wind blew softly as he walked towards her. Nami confusingly raised an eyebrow and she looked at him.

"What the hell is this, huh? We'll only 'end up losing our lives'? That I am no match for Bellamy?!"

Nami's brows then furrowed. "Give me that!"

"After all this time we've been together you don't trust me?!"

Usopp huffed. "Luffy...what the hell are you talking about?"

"What do you mean?" he asked back but kept his expression.

"She had no choice but to say that," Robin added.

"If you'd ask me," Sanji blew. "the whole thing sounded like a message of love."

Franky breathed before he opened his mouth for a smart idea. "Why don't you just listen to it again?"

"Hey!" Nami turned to the cyan haired one.

Luffy, however, followed Franky's suggestion. "Oh yeah..."

Please forgive me for being unable to say farewell to you all directly.

Embarrassed of hearing her voice coming from the phone, Nami began snatching said gadget from Luffy's grasp but he was quick to evade and run away from her. They did it a couple times as the recording continued. She may be feeling uncomfortable but there was no doubt that she also missed the kind of banter she and Luffy were currently having.

I have decided to join Bellamy's troupe. Bellamy is a powerful individual who you could never match up to even if you stood up to him. Even if you came after me you would only end up losing your lives.

Nami's embarrassment only worsened, as the final part of the message was near. Finally, she got the phone out of his hand, by leaping to reach because he raised it to the air in hopes of not being reached, and she actually thought of throwing it off the rails but that's way too much. So instead, she ran far back and deleted it before the last line came, much to Luffy's annoyance.

I will say this much, promise you will come rescue me.

He never heard it but all told, he came to and rescued her.