Chapter 2 Safe Arms

Começar do início

"Hi Liam, I'm Finn."  I held back the urge to step forward and hold out my hand.  I didn't want to spook him and he seemed nervous and tense, like he would bolt at any minute if I did.  His big blue eyes continued to look at me through his long bangs and a small smile appeared on his lips.  I felt my heart melt at this small gesture after hearing so much about him from Benji.  Benji had told me how shy he was and I felt like that smile was a great gift.

"I brought my sketchbook with me Liam, I was wondering if I could show it to you, and if you wanted to show me yours, that would be really cool, but if you didn't, that would be fine too."  His little head nodded and the three of us went over to a table.

I pulled out the sketchbook I had brought, one of many I had, but this one had sketches of Elliott's sculptures and other things from New York and I thought Liam might be interested in seeing them.  I placed it on the table in front of him and opened the cover.  His eyes went wide and scanned over the first drawing furiously.

"Hey guys, Joe just waved me over, I think I need to referee a soccer game."  I watched Liam look up at Benji, concern etched in his features.  "It's okay Liam, Finn's my little brother, he'll stay with you, you don't have to worry."

"Yeah, we can even draw something after if you want," I encouraged. 

"Is that okay?"  Liam nodded and his eyes went back to the drawing, but I could see him peeking at me in his peripheral vision.  Benji ran over to a group of kids and I looked back and started telling Liam about the drawing he was looking at.  He seemed fascinated.  More fascinated than many avid art collectors I had come in contact with in New York.  He hadn't said a word to me directly yet, but it was okay.  His nods and smiles and the look in his eyes was enough.  More than enough. 

When he got to the last drawing his eyes peeked up at me.  I just smiled and rested my head on my hand, my elbow propped up on the picnic table.  After much thought, or so I imagined as I could almost see the wheels of his mind turning.  He pulled his sketchbook out from where it was still tucked against his chest under his arms and carefully placed it on the table in front of me.

"Thank you Liam," I said softly as I turned the cover over.  I was immediately amazed. It was a picture of three boys, I figured it was his brother and two friends.  Now my eyes went wide.  "Wow," I whispered as I gazed at the sketch.  His technique, the shading, everything about it was amazing.  The expressions on the boys' faces were so detailed that their energy hopped right off the page.  After taking my time admiring the first sketch I turned the page, each drawing I came to as I went through his book was breathtaking.  I truly believed, with his lack of training, his raw talent well exceeded my own when I was his age.  It was almost emotional looking through them.  I felt my eyes water at the passion of each stroke and his ability to capture each moment with such eloquence.

"Liam, these are so amazing," I breathed out in awe when I was only half way through the book.  I turned my head and his little face was bright red, his lips turned up in a smile that looked like he was fighting down.  "I really mean it, you are really talented.  They are way better than mine when I was your age."

"Leelee?"  I heard a deep voice behind us and Liam's head immediately popped up as he turned around.  His face lit up, but it was a different smile than I'd seen so far.  A kind of familiar smile I remembered from a long ago…happiness, excitement, love, longing…

"Who are you?" the boy asked almost gruffly.  I turned around, my thoughts interrupted.

"I'm Finn," I offered, standing up off the bench.  I looked at the boy.  He was about an inch shorter than me, but much broader compared to my more slim, lithe build.  Yeah, I was a lean, fast cheetah and he was more muscular and a little fierce, like a Siberian tiger…or a black panther with his dark hair.  Oh my god, I'm turning into Benji!  "I'm Benji's brother from another mother," I added trying to add a little humour to the moment.  He looked me up and down accusingly.  "Liam was just showing me his sketchbook," his face turned into a frown, more like a grimace, "umm…after I showed him mine.  I'm an artist too…"