Chapter 11 All I Want

Chapter 11

Nico

James and Mike were waiting for us on the speedboat when we made it down to the lower level, Finn jumped down onto the boat and I followed behind.  He stood uncertain as to where to sit, so I directed him to the chair in the front, where he sat on the way in, while I sat in one of the seats in the back of the boat. 

It reminded me of all the rides we had taken together with Finn tucked into my arms.  The ache I felt to feel him against me again outweighed any pain I was feeling from my heavy workout this morning.  I knew there was no chance to have that between us again, but I was grateful for even the opportunity of whatever type of friendship Finn was comfortable with.

"Are you sure you don't mind me dragging you around to furniture stores, it's probably going to be pretty boring."

"Not at all, it's good for me to get off the boat for once.  Ajax would be pleased I'm 're-joining society' as he says, he's been harping on me for a long time," I admitted.

"I need to stop by my apartment first and take measurements.  The contractors are still finishing up a few small things, but I got the key early and we won't be in anyone's way if they're still working." 

Finn pulled out of the marina parking lot, a look of excitement on his face.  He drove his new car like an expert and as I remembered that it was supposed to be me who taught him to drive, a wave of sadness washed over me.  I had to turn away and look out the window until I was able to get a grip on my emotions.

I also would have loved to get him a brand new car…after doing research on the safest models on the market.  But I was proud of him for choosing his own car and it wasn't a bad one; it was a decent, clean, reliable vehicle.  As he drove he began telling me all about the classes he'd signed up for, how his apartment was within walking distance to school, but not so close as to be in the fray of student congestion.  His words bespoke the years I'd missed and how much he'd matured.  His focus was on finishing his degree and his painting.  He said he'd done the freshman partying experiences and it didn't take long to become bored with parties that revolved around a keg or the incessant beat that left him with a headache at dance clubs.

"Oh my god, I sound middle aged," he groaned.

"Don't even go there," I warned with a smile as he let out a hearty laugh.

"Here's my building," he said pulling into a parking space.  I looked up at the building, one I knew well as it was a property our firm had purchased several years ago when we were investing in real estate.  It had recently been retrofitted with a state of the art security system for the residents…well for one resident in particular whose safety was of utmost importance to me.  Plus, as many upgrades to the apartment as would be possible without  causing suspicion.  Maybe I was wrong, still obsessing over Finn's needs and comfort, but really, nothing else was important to me anymore.

I followed Finn up into the building, his apartment was on the 2nd floor, there was an elevator, but Finn automatically went to the stairs, taking them 2 at a time with ease.  When we were inside I looked around, pleased with the work they had done.  Finn showed me around before we got on task.

"So this room will be my studio," he explained, walking into the bedroom with the large bay windows.  "The morning light will be perfect for painting.  Then this other one will be my bedroom."  Finn pulled out a tape measure when we were in the next room and I helped him take some quick measurements as he sketched the room's layout in a small notepad.  We did the same in the living room.  "Look! It has a small washer and dryer," he showed me in a closet near the 2nd bathroom.  "And I'm not much of a cook, but Benji said the appliances were brand new top of the line."