Chapter 6

"Sonya Carter," she spoke gleefully, a joyous smile permanently plastered on her face. You look at Sonya, her whole body shaking as she tries to take a step away from you and towards the main isle that girls had cleared for her, but you wouldn't let go of her wrist.

Then before you could even process what you were saying, the words came tumbling out of your mouth. "I volunteer," you scream.

"What," Sonya gasped at the same time you heard a screech of terror that could only be your little sister. You throw your arms around Sonya, her not completely processing what was happening as the peacekeepers walked over to you and grabbed your elbows, guiding you up to the stage as you cringe from the pressure on your hurt arm.

"Well this is new," the capitol lady gasped with delight. "It is very few and far between that we have someone as brave as you dear. Now please tell me your name," she practically squeals once your up on stage. You're frozen in place once you get up the steps, your sisters cry's the only thing breaking the silence that had fallen over the rest of the district.

With an annoyed roll of her eyes the capitol lady rushes over to you, grabbing your injured elbow, making you wince again as she drags you to the microphone.

"Now tell us your name dear," she breathes, the joy still evident in her tone.

"(Y/n) (L/n)," you say with no emotion in your voice, your teary eyes scanning the crowd for any recognizable faces.

"Now please do tell us what that young lady meant to you for you to volunteer for her."

You were sucking in deep shaky breaths as she leaned the microphone to the side, right in front of you.

"She's my best friend. I wasn't going to let anything happen to her," you say, your voice cracking as you see Sonya's sobbing figure where you were a minute ago, another friend of hers letting her cry into her shoulder.

The lady seemed to be dissatisfied with your answer, but she dropped it, speaking into the microphone once again. "Now let's see who your lucky partner shall be," she claps like a child, strutting to the opposite side of the stage to the other bowl.

You take the small window of time to look through the boys section, eventually spotting Newt. His expression is full of sorrow, his hand reaching up to cover his mouth as if he were shocked, but even from this far you could tell all his eyes held we're pain. Minho had a similar expression, and when you looked back to the parents, you spotted Trinity. James was holding her tightly as she cried into his shoulder, Julie leaning up against her as if to shield her body with her own.

"Peter Scratz," she says, almost making you jump. You hadn't seen her walk back over to you. A boy from the 14 yearold section slowly walks up, his head hung low. He had short black hair styled off to the side, and tan skin. He was a little shorter than you, but looked like he could take on Minho in a wrestling match.

"Now shake hands!" Her singsong voice exclaims, once again clapping her hands like a child as he walked up to stand next to you. You turn to the boy, a sad expression on your face as you shake his shivering hand.

"Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor," she squeals.

The next few minutes went by in a blur. The capitol lady ushered you and the boy inside the large building behind the stage and dismissed everyone else. Seconds later you were shoved into a room, and a small click could be heard from the other side of the closed door.

You just stood there in shock, not really believing everything that was happening. You were going into the games. You were going to die. You would never see Trinity or your dad, or any of your friends ever again.