8.

((TW: Discussion of how Dusk got his scar))

Ever since that night, Theo tried to treat Dusk a little nicer.

It seemed to confuse Dusk, the king wrinkling his nose every time and he'd look quite cute...in Theo's humble opinion.

He wanted to know where the scar had come from. Was it an assassination attempt? A wound from a battle? Theo wanted to know and so he went to the only person he knew would tell him.

Dusk's older brother Chester.

Chester was where Theo thought he may find him. In the billiards room, playing a game against himself seemingly.

The man looked much like Dusk. Same dark eyes, same dark hair however Chester had allowed himself to grow a beard and was a bit taller and more muscular.

"Chester?" Theo asked and the man glanced over at him, grinning. He stood and bowed to Theo,

"Your majesty" he said and Theo rolled his eyes,

"Stand up, you and I both know you don't care about being royal"

"Yea you're right" Chester said and straightened back up, looking at Theo, "what's up?"

"I uh...have a question"

"Shoot"

"What's that scar on Dusks chest from?" Theo asked hesitantly and Chester's lip twitched.

"Saw that did you?"

Theo nodded, Chester sighed,

"He'd kill me if I told you"

"I'd stop him" Theo said and Chester chuckled,

"Yea, he does seem to listen to you...alright" Chester said, "sit down"

Theo sat in a chair, looking at Chester who stared at him for a moment before starting to speak,

"Long long ago, when Dusk and I were kids...our mother died"

"I'm sorry" Theo said, knowing how it felt to have your mother pass away young,

"Yea...thanks. Anyways, Dad grew increasingly obsessed with the idea that Dusk had something to do with it despite him being like...six and so...one time they got into an argument, I say argument when it was more dad screaming and Dusk sobbing and dad started calling Dusk all these names like freak and monster and he took his dagger and...he slashed Dusk across the chest"

Theo stared at Chester. He almost wanted to laugh, he didn't quite believe the man but Chesters eyes held no hint that he was lying.

"The nurses managed to save Dusk but...he did get that scar" 

Theo felt sick, his own father was a piece of shit but to purposefully try and murder your child? Theo wanted to vomit. 

"Thank you Chester" Theo said and Chester shook his head, 

"Don't thank me, I wish it'd never happened" 

"...Me too" Theo said and got up, leaving the billiards room to head to the library or maybe the gardens, just somewhere he could take his mind off of everything.