Part 2

Now leaning against the dorm building behind me, I let my mind wander.

It must have been one of my first days in kindergarten when I walked inside and told my mom how we were learning about quirks.

"Well Suki, you better have a good quirk when you're older; you need something to make up for your bad temper," she said with a sly smile.

"Make up for?" I replied, unfamiliar with the phrase.

"Yeah, if you're mean and have a bad quirk, then people aren't going to be nice to you either. If you have a good quirk, you'll at least have something to like."

"Oh, okay."

"C'mon kid, I was just joking around! Just stop being mean to other kids."

"Fine, I'm going to go play with Izuku."

"Alright, just make sure you're back before dinner."

"Yeah yeah," I yelled to her before running out to the woods by my house.

I kicked a couple rocks into the river before one of my friends showed up, Izuku following close behind him.

"Hey, Izuku! I bet you'll have a to get a real get good quirk," I said, probably louder than necessary with the dumb teasing voice I was used when talking to him.

"Y-you really think so?" He responded optimistically.

"Yeah, no one would want to be your friend without one. My mom told me that people will be friends with you if you have a good quirk," I jeered.

I saw his heart drop at my words, and I hoped he'd start crying. Something in me really liked seeing him cry. It's more of an annoyance now, but my sadistic brain still loves seeing him as sad as I feel so painfully often.

"Stop being mean, Succhan!" He said, tears forming in his eyes.

"And what are you going to do about it?" I reply gleefully.

"Nothing, but I told my mom that you were being mean before, and she told me that if I'm super nice to you, then you should be nice back, so Succhan," he gave a dramatic pause.

"What?" I interrupt.

"I hope you get a good quirk, so you can be happy."

It's been so many years, but that day refuses to be forgotten. It might be that my mom's words were burned into my brain, even when I knew they were a joke, or maybe it's that even after getting his hopes up then insulting him to his face, Deku was still kind to me.

I breathe a sigh through my nose then hesitantly go back inside.