Twelve: A Patrol

"What rune would start off a repellent defence sequence?"

Jordan frowned. "Er...that big loopy one. With the flick."

"The big loopy one with the flick," Yddris repeated. Jordan's face heated.

"I'm not good with names."

"Did you hear that?" Yddris said, pointing up at the sky, "That low groan? That was every Unspoken who has served before us despairing of you, that was."

"I thought it was you," Jordan retorted. "I was going to be polite and not comment on it."

"Anyone who passes wind that sounds like rutting Listener needs to see a physician."

Jordan snorted, then clamped a hand on his hood to keep it up as a bitter wind whistled down the street and buffeted them. The night was icy cold, more so than usual, so that even Jordan could feel it, warmed as he was by his magic. Frost glittered on window ledges and cobblestones, and their breaths clouded before them. As the wind subsided, he heard the noise Yddris had been referring to – a wet grunt, followed by a low groan.

"Hold onto your stomach, boy," Yddris murmured, "This might compromise your dinner."

They rounded the corner, and came face to face with two Listeners. Jordan wrinkled his nose. They hadn't spotted them yet, and after his many unpleasant experiences with Listeners, Jordan didn't need telling twice to fall silent and shuffle onto a rune path. On two occasions this particular variety of demon had almost crushed him to death, and he had only needed one to get the message.

The second Listener didn't seem to mind the experience.

His stomach rolled, heart picking up speed even though he'd finally learned to trust the nets to keep him safe. It was impossible not to instinctively ready oneself to run during an encounter with any of the bigger demons – the key lay in not actually doing it.

"You watching closely, boy?" Yddris asked. "I'm only doing this once."

The demons finally noticed them – with a roar, one rounded on Yddris and threw itself into a charge. Jordan tried desperately to keep track of which runes his tutor was drawing, but it was all happening so quickly he only picked up a couple. It was a very different experience identifying them in the safety of Yddris's attic, when the man was going slower and Jordan's nostrils weren't filled with the overpowering stench of demon. As the green rope formed from the rune sequence shattered and then peppered the charging demon with smoking holes, Jordan despaired that he would ever be able to cast so quickly.

The second Listener, seeming to sense the fate of its companion, hollered and made a break for it down the street.

"No point," Yddris replied to Jordan's unspoken question. "They're too fast to chase. They're usually also too stupid to run away, but it appears at least one has a brain."

"Will it cause problems somewhere else?" Jordan asked. He stepped off the rune path, the hum in his veins becoming fainter as the link dropped.

"It's possible. Unlikely, if it's spooked. Even less likely if it just got pregnant."

Jordan wrinkled his nose. "I bet these make fugly babies."

"What gives you that impression?" Yddris nudged the dead demon's bony face and a long string of translucent, blood-flecked drool escaped its gaping jaws. "Was it the eyes, the skin, or the smell?"

"All three. Have you ever seen them?"

"The babies? Yep. Squealing sacks of shit and vomit." Yddris paused. "Mind you, that's not limited to demons."