"What did I do wrong, Y/N?"

His words sound accusatory but his tone is soft, gentle and full of worry. Eyes swollen and looking like they are about to fill to the brim with tears, his sight is focused on you; now not able to look away.

"I-I don't know..."

Your answer is honest. You don't know if his intentions are dirty. Yeah, that's what you thought initially, but looking at him with such hurt written all over his face tells a different story.

Taehyung is silent, unsure of what more he can do or say to make you talk to him. He can't force you to open up, he never has and he never will – that's always been his rule. Everything you've shared with him has been on your own terms and conditions. Taehyung has always been here to be your listening ear, but he never pries.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

His voice is soft, eyes full of sympathy as he holds himself together. Those were the words he has been looking for. Now the ball is in your court and you'll have to be the one leading the conversation. It's just what he needed to figure this shit out.

"I-I don't know."

"Y/N," he sighs as he drops himself down onto the mattress, "I shouldn't have to say this for you to know it, but you know you can talk to me about anything, right?"

You do know that. You really, really do. But this time things are different. Is he expecting you to just come out and speak your truth like there won't be consequences? No, he won't push you to tell him anything you don't want to. But the worry in his eyes and clammy hands are begging for you to just let it out so he can stop being in the dark.

You sigh out an 'okay' before sitting down beside him.

Rip the band-aid off Y/N. Quick and painless.

His eyes narrow, almost to a squint, staring right through you in hopes of reading your thoughts. Your expression is nothing but blank as you try your best to gain some sort of composure. Do you just speak up and spill your guts? The words replay in your mind over and over until your thoughts are beat down and misshapen.

You can picture his face when you say it; disgusted with a trace of disappointment and some confusion spread into the mix. Or maybe he'll laugh at how pathetic you were, catching feelings for your fake boyfriend.

That's it. There's no way you can tell him. It would be much easier to just get up and leave. Tell him to pretend like none of this ever happened and that you needed some time to cool off. A few months maybe, or maybe you could just ghost him entirely.

"Y/N?"

The sound of his voice breaks you out of your toxic thoughts, and his chocolate brown eyes bring you back down to earth. You can't just leave him in the dust. He's looking at you like you're the only thing that exists. Things will be okay, right?

"Sorry, sorry," you exhale deeply as you calm your thoughts; shifting the nasty scenarios out and accepting that whatever happens after this conversation is your fate.

"Taehyung, I-I guess I wasn't expecting this boyfriend-girlfriend thing we're doing to go like this."

His brow quirks at your words, confusion riddling his expression as his eyes narrow. With a tilt of his head, he's pushing you to continue, visibly riddled with your choice of words.

"Swear you'll be honest when I ask you this?" You question him, your hand moving closer to his as you lean in slightly. He's like a magnet, you can't help yourself from moving closer; even though the proximity of the two of you is clouding your thoughts and you can feel your heart beginning to swell.