four

"𝙔𝙤𝙪 𝙜𝙖𝙫𝙚 [𝙝𝙞𝙢] 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙨𝙬𝙚𝙖𝙩𝙚𝙧. 𝙄𝙩'𝙨 𝙟𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙥𝙤𝙡𝙮𝙚𝙨𝙩𝙚𝙧, 𝙗𝙪𝙩 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚 [𝙝𝙞𝙢] 𝙗𝙚𝙩𝙩𝙚𝙧. 𝙒𝙞𝙨𝙝 𝙄 𝙬𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙃𝙚𝙖𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧."

2010

Harry was an artist. He was often spotted with a guitar case in his hand and a pencil tucked behind his ear. His room was a world of half-written songs and lost guitar picks. When they were younger, Louis and Harry would play together. Louis on piano and Harry with his guitar. They would joke about starting a band, but shortly after entering secondary school, Louis abandoned the piano and left Harry to play his guitar alone.

Not many things gave Harry a sense of joy. He didn't have any friends, aside from Louis, and he was too shy to speak with anyone else. But playing his guitar was the one thing he could do and become overwhelmed with that sparkling sensation. Admittedly, being with Louis would give him that euphoria constantly, but he would have to settle for second best.

"Oh, where nothing bothered us."

It wasn't unusual for Harry to sing at school. He would situate himself in the auditorium and act as a performer for an hour. Singing unveiled a different side to him. The shy boy would disappear, and Harry would become dynamic and bold. On occasion, he would take requests, but he usually stuck with songs he had written.

No one knew who Harry's muse was. It was assumed to be someone at their school. They weren't wrong as Harry tended to write about Louis. Fortunately for him, Louis didn't know. He did, however, wish him luck with whoever he was writing about. It used to make Harry laugh.

"I always think about you and how we don't speak enough."

Nothing could disrupt Harry's bright mood, not even Stephen. Stephen in his own clothes that is. Him in Louis' sweater was different. Harry didn't like the way the green fabric fell loosely over his body.

"I know, it's hard when we argue."

Harry's smile dissipated as the two walked into the room. Louis never failed to miss a performance, even when they weren't on the best terms. The smile returned as Harry realized Louis was still his best friend. He still had a place in Louis' heart that was reserved for him.

That didn't make him fall for Louis any less. He still wanted to have the sweater on his body. Still wanted to have Louis look at him the way he was staring at Stephen's lips. He no longer had his full attention, and he was the one performing.

"Meet me in the hallway."

The sharp song change grabbed everyone's attention, including Louis'. Harry was frowning as he filled the room with his emotion-bound tone. Why didn't Louis like him?

"Give me some morphine."

He listened to everything Louis said and always tried to keep him happy. He didn't know what to do, but he wouldn't admit defeat.

"Just let me know I'll be at the door, at the door."

Harry was crying. He never cried, and Louis knew that. But when Harry expressed his gratitude for attending and rushed offstage, Louis didn't follow.