"Do you have any idea what it's like to be trapped in someone's body? Hunted simply because of your race?"

Liesel rolled her eyes. "I'm a witch. My whole life has been underground and controlled by the elders. You think I don't understand being trapped or hunted? Please..."

Amy jumped to her feet and made another lunge. "You know no—"

Crack! Liesel slapped her hard in the face. The cognitive shock would hopefully be enough.

For a second, Amy stared off. She blinked, and her eyes lost some of their dangerous glow. "What... What am I doing?"

Liesel took a step forward. "Amy, listen to me. Whatever whispers you're hearing about being threatened, tortured or killed, it's lies. You're endangering Karina and her baby. You need to let me help you."

Amy's hands drifted to her stomach, feeling the baby bump. "Oh gosh... I could have killed them?"

"Yes, but you're hanging onto control now. Will you let me help you?"

Amy met her gaze and shook her head. "I can't control it... the urges are getting stronger. There's no guarantee that slapping me will work again." She swallowed. "You have to kill me."

"What?" Liesel gawked. "No... Amy, we're not there yet."

"It's the only way," Amy whispered. "I don't even trust myself, so you can't take that risk. You have to kill me."

"Just so you understand..." Liesel twisted her hands together. "It's not like death in the way you think it is. You'll be sent back to the dimension you're from, and you'll be very much still alive. Is that what you're willing to do?"

She nodded right away. "It doesn't matter what happens to me. I never wanted this. I made a promise, and I intend to keep it. Please... protect Karina and her baby. You have to take me out."

Liesel ran her fingers through her hair. "Okay... Let's do this."

Lucas

Lucas stumbled mid-run as something in his chest cracked. It wasn't quite a breaking mate bond, but it was dangerously close. He couldn't think of the possibilities, being too focused on running to his mate. Something was happening... now.

Several minutes later, he broke the edge of the trees into the field where Amy was in full control of Karina's body. Thankfully, Liesel stood mere feet away and appeared calm. He paused. Maybe the situation wasn't so—

A blast shook the ground as Liesel unleashed some kind of spell. The ball of light hit Amy square in the chest, knocking her to the ground. A haunting shriek of pain filled the air. The hair on the back of Lucas's neck rose; even his wolf felt it. Something crackled in his chest.

"Karina..." He launched forward.

A ghost-like figure hovered over Karina's fallen body. Liesel didn't look his way before hurling a second spell at the freed guardian. With a flash of lightning, the guardian—Amy—disappeared.

"Karina!" He dropped to his knees beside her and bent to press his ear to her chest. The silence terrified him. He turned on Liesel.

"Why doesn't she have a heartbeat?" he roared. "What have you done?"

The witch staggered forward, clearly weak from her efforts. "Karina is... deep within... her body. She... needs to be reminded... how to live."

"Then do something!"

Liesel collapsed beside Karina. Placing her palm on Karina's chest, she whispered, "Resurgam."

An electric shock pulsed from her hand into Karina's body. Drained of energy, she slumped into unconsciousness. Lucas cupped his mate's face in his hands and watched for any sign of life.

"Come back to me, sweetheart," he whispered. "Come back."

Karina's eyes flew open as her lungs heaved in a breath. His chest flared hot as their bond re-solidified. He closed his eyes and pressed his forehead to hers.

"You're okay," he whispered to her. "It's all over. You're safe. I'm right here."

She threw her arms around his neck and held tight. For a long minute, she clung to him and breathed. Her body trembled a little with each breath. He didn't move, didn't let go... He just held her until she was ready to go.

"Is... Is she... gone?" she finally mumbled against his neck.

"Yeah," he assured her, rubbing her back with long, slow strokes. "Amy is gone back to her own dimension."

"That was the most terrifying thing I've ever done."

He eased back to look her in the eyes. "...but you did it, and it's over. We won. You're safe."

Karina nodded and placed her palm flat against her abdomen. Closing her eyes, she sat very still. Lucas kept his arms around her while she reconnected with their child. A slight tremble went through her body, and his heart sank.

Karina opened her eyes, and he swallowed hard. He hadn't seen that many tears ready to fall before.

"I can't feel the baby, Lucas," she choked out. "Neither can my wolf. I think..." She blinked, and the first waterfall of tears fell.

He cupped her face again and wiped at the tears with his thumbs. "We don't know anything for sure yet. When the guards get here, I'll take you to the pack doctor. As soon as Liesel wakes up, we'll have her do a follow-up to make sure everything worked as it was supposed to."

A moment of clarity crossed his mate's tear-glittering eyes. "Liesel? What's wrong with Liesel? Is she okay?"

"She passed out, most likely from exhaustion," he explained. "She'll be okay. My first priority is you and our child, okay?"

"Okay." She tucked her head under his chin, safely nestled there until it was time to move.

A minute later, the first wave of guards burst out of the trees. Lucas waved them over and cradled Karina in his arms. Kellen reached them first, so Lucas gave him all the instructions. As soon as everyone moved into action, Lucas took off for home. The sooner they knew their baby was safe the better.