Chapter 16: Departure

Kevin's quick pace accelerated until he was almost running. The people in the street were giving him curious looks, but they didn't stop him.

Because of her age, Isabella couldn't move as fast as Kevin and fell behind. George stayed a few paces ahead of her, trying to keep nearby while maintaining a line of sight on Kevin.

"Lower the ramp," Kevin ordered a crane operator. "We're leaving."

"No can do," the man denied. "Only the Governor authorizes who comes and goes. You need to speak with him."

Kevin turned away in frustration. Before heading back to the wall where he'd last seen Clark, he imparted hurried instructions to his companions. "Stay here. I should be back in no time."

George nodded, and Isabella leaned against the wall, working to catch her breath.

Kevin didn't bother trying to remain inconspicuous, breaking into a full sprint. He unintentionally bumped into a few people along the way, offering a quick apology without slowing pace.

He knew he was wasting valuable minutes crossing back and forth through town when he should already be outside, putting as much distance as possible between himself and the incoming horde of zombies. Fortunately, he met the Governor when he was returning to his office in the middle of Walton.

"Governor!" Kevin shouted, not wanting to miss his opportunity to speak with the man.

Clark paused in front of the government building and turned in Kevin's direction. "Yes?"

"We need your authorization to leave Walton," Kevin explained between gasps for breath.

"Of course," Clark agreed. "I have some things for you to take with you."

Clark motioned for Kevin to follow him inside the house. Entering the parlor near the front doors, Clark began handing things to Kevin.

"Here's an updated map of the area, containing known locations of scavenger encampments and zombie hordes," Clark explained.

"There was a military base around here somewhere," Kevin stated.

"It's on there," Clark promised. He handed over the next item, a large and heavy bag. "This contains guns, ammunition, and a few weapons we won't be needing after the zombies surround us. I wish I could offer you a place here, but these supplies are all I can manage."

"I understand," Kevin accepted, taking the bag and shouldering the heavy weight. He put the map into a side pocket on the bag. "I appreciate this; it could definitely help us last long enough to get where we're going."

"Is there any place you can go where it will be safe?" Clark asked.

"We have some ideas, but we don't know if we'll be able to pull it off before the hordes catch up with us," Kevin admitted.

"If you do make it, send us word," Clark suggested, handing over a small bird in a wooden cage. "Perhaps we can still be of help, even from a distance. We know a great deal about having a self-sufficient city, and Sanctuary has done very well in that regard as well."

"Thank you, Governor," Kevin said as he took the birdcage.

"You better get going," Clark advised. "It won't take the undead long to surround the wall. I'll stay here and raise a flag to let the crane operators know you have permission to depart. I wish you well."

"Likewise," Kevin returned. He shook Clark's hand firmly and headed down the street at a brisk jog. He would've gone faster, but the heavy bag he carried weighed him down, and he didn't want to jostle the bird he was carrying too much.