"Oh, Aldo...I've really done it, this time." She sobbed.

"No, no..." He consoled, sitting next to her. "We all make mistakes, Marian. No need to beat yourself up over this."

"But it's true!" She continued. "The way I spoke to her, the way she spoke back to me...I've been so harsh towards her. I don't mean to be."

"Well, it's true you haven't been the most pleasant pea in the pod, lately."

"What does that even mean...?" Her brow furrowed.

"Well...you haven't been as kind as you could be, but I know you mean well. And you have taken such good care of us, and even Selina."

"Thank you," she sniffed. "Still, I know I haven't been the same since Chester passed away. I have been absolutely horrid."

"No, no..." Was all Aldo could reply.

"Don't try to make me feel better," she retorted, then smiled slightly. "Even though I thought you would have agreed with me...but, I am afraid it's true. Maybe, I even took it out on Selina. I just didn't want her to get her hopes up, only to have them plummeted back down to Earth. I didn't want her to be disappointed, given the circumstances. Perhaps, I was doing more harm than good."

Aldo studied his sister, who was wringing the handkerchief in her hands. He had to help his sister out, somehow. He had to find a way to encourage her.

"I understand how you feel. I've been there, too. However, hope is not lost. It's not too late, Marian. You can still make this right. Um, just follow your heart. It will guide you down the path to kindness." Aldo consoled, smiling warmly. His words made her feel a little better. She suddenly knew what she needed to do.

"Thank you, Aldo. You really are a wonderful brother. If you will excuse me, I must go talk with Selina. It's quite urgent that I do." She patted his shoulder and exited the room.

A knock came at Selina's door, making her tense. She could only imagine the scolding she was about to receive, if not worse. She had prepared to become a nomad, if Marian no longer wanted her. After all, she said she couldn't stand living in the house...why should she stay? She was prepared for anything Marian tried to accuse her of.

"Come in," she spoke through gritted teeth.

Marian slowly opened the door to see Selina looking more frightened than and wounded than she had ever seen her. The sight of her niece pained her right to her heart. She swallowed the lump in her throat.

"Selina..." Marian began softly.

"I don't want to talk, Marian." Selina mumbled, eyes downcast. Her back was turned to her Aunt.

Marian caught her breath, but continued. "That's fine...you don't have to say anything."

"You know I was not born into poverty!" Selina shot, eyes burning through her Aunt. "You know my father was a Baron."

"I know."

"I wouldn't be hear, today, if I hadn't lost my parents...everything in the fire."

It was true. Selina's parents were wealthy...a Baron and Baroness. They were bright, lively, and highly esteemed in the countryside. She was only eleven years old when she had lost them to that tragic accident. Orphaned with no other connections, Marian had agreed to take her in.

"You should have left me to roam the streets." Selina spoke bitterly.

"No, I could never..." She forced the words through the lump in her throat. "Please, hear me out. I was wrong for what I said at dinner. It was wrong to say such- demeaning things to you. I am sorry."

Marian's apology caused Selina to whip around, facing her. She studied her Aunt's face, and noted the sincerity in her eyes. Was her Aunt actually apologizing to her? Selina burst like a dam. All that she was feeling came out in sobs. Marian rushed towards her side, holding her on her little bed. Selina folded her legs into her chest, letting Marian hold her for once.

"I lost everything!" She sobbed. "No one ever treated me the same in town. They looked at me as If I were a mere mite." She wiped the tears as they flowed. People hadn't treated her the same since. They would point at her, gossip about her former glory, the poverty hanging on this child. Many were embarrassed and ashamed for her. Others had studied her haughtily.

"I know...when I lost Chester so long ago, now...I am afraid I took it out on the one's closest to me. I am sorry I took my frustration out on you." Marian held her for as long as she was allowed. Selina, a woman. Yet, in many ways, still just a girl. Selina pulled away. They both sat quiet for several moments before Selina broke the silence.

"I took so much for granted as a child..." she said through a disbelieving smile. "I never knew what I had." If she could relive her childhood, she would have been many times more grateful for the clothes, the dinners, parties, friends...

"Well, no since in reliving the past..." Marian said through a smile. "What matters is how we are choosing to live our lives, now."

Selina looked down, considering her words.

"And you know what? You're doing a good job." Her tight-lipped smile was the most sincere expression she had shown anyone in a while. "Selina...there is no reason why you shouldn't be Queen, if the opportunity allows."

She looked straight into her eyes. She couldn't believe she just heard that come from her Aunt's mouth.

"Really...? You believe that?" She wasn't so sure she believed it, herself.

"I know that," her breath stammered. "In fact, if a selection should occur, you outshine half those ladies. What do they have to offer, besides their overly done faces and yards of fabric padding their bodies? Their looks are all show, really. You are a fair maiden, and really beautiful. The King would be bound to notice you."

"Really?" She laughed in pure joy, eyes gleaming. "And, you are not ugly. I'm sorry I said that."

Marian smiled, eyes downcast and sniffed almost proudly. "Yes, well...thank you." She smiled graciously towards her niece. This moment was sweet, but reality was waiting outside the doors. Marian was getting restless, and the unfinished tasks of the day seemed to be pulling at her. She fidgeted.

"Well, I must hurry along. I have many things to tend too. Sadly, do not do themselves." Her voice had a slight droll sound. "Selina, would you help me sell crops, tomorrow, in the marketplace?" She reminded herself not to feel like a heel for asking. It had just been an excitable night.

"Yes, of course." Selina said, matter-of-factly. Leg pulled close to her chest, she smiled back at her aunt as she shut the door.

So many walls broken down, tonight! More than she thought possible between them, and, Marian admitted she could be Queen. She smiled triumphantly, always knowing she had the makings of one. She took up her mirror by her bedside, primping herself. Studying her reflection, she saw her features in an entirely new light.

"I do have the makings of a Queen..." She spoke with revelation, speaking these words back at her reflection. She rose her chin haughtily. She laughed, falling back onto her pillow with a sigh. That was all she needed to spur her forward.