Let The Climb Begin

A day and half later of traveling, Sonic and Shadow finally made it to the Swiss Alps mountains. They had stopped by a local store to get the necessary supplies that they needed for hiking and climbing before they were given a ride by the climbing instructor to the mountains. When they arrived and exited the vehicle, Sonic looked up to the mountains and smiled in awe.

"Wow. It's beautiful." He said, admiring the tall snowy peaks.

"It sure is." Shadow agreed as he pulled their bags out from the back of the vehicle.

"I can just barely believe how real this is." Sonic chuckled.

"Well, it'll be pretty real when you're up there." Shadow teased. “First thing’s first. We gotta hike up the trail to the base of the mountain. From there, we’ll begin our climb.”

“Sounds like a plan.” Sonic agreed. “Guess that means it's time to break into my new hiking boots.”

Shadow chuckled as Sonic dug into his bag and pulled out a pair of red hiking boots. Shadow followed suit and pulled on a pair of his own beige hiking boots. With their boots on and their shoes in their bags, they started to trek up the trail, holding hands in a symbol of love and trust.

“How are your boots?” Shadow smirked.

“They’re great. I love the color.” Sonic giggled, twisting his foot a little in a way the sun made the red color shine.

Shadow laughed. “I don’t care about the color, Sonic. I mean are they comfortable?”

“Of course they are.” Sonic rolled his eyes with a smile before trotting ahead a bit. “Come on Shadow. We’re burning daylight and we’re expected back in three days. Let’s get up there already.”

“Alright, alright. Don’t get so impatient. And remember to be careful. One wrong move can be tragic.”

Day 1, 8 am

The hike up the trail was no problem for the two hedgehogs as they walked over rocks, through a forest of trees, and quickly came up to a small river. Their trail went right through the river, but it was small and shallow, easy to walk through. Shadow stepped in first and held his hand out to Sonic, who hesitantly took it. The blue hedgehog took one step in the water and stopped, looking up at his boyfriend.

“What if I slip?” He asked fearfully. Sure the river wouldn’t sweep him away, but he could still hurt himself on the rocks jutting out from the shallow water.

“You won’t slip.” Shadow assured him. “I got you. Just step where I step”

Sonic gulped and nodded, stepping into the river fully. He held onto Shadow’s hand, watching his feet carefully to take the same path he was taking through the river. He felt a rock slide under his foot a bit, making him wobble, but Shadow held onto him fast, stabilizing him.

“Easy Sonic. You’re doing great.” He stepped out of the water onto the bank, keeping a tight hold on the other’s hand. Sonic took a deep breath and jumped onto the bank after him, falling into his lover’s arms, who quickly caught him. “Well hello there.” Shadow chuckled.

Sonic chuckled as well and kissed him. “Not bad for a scaredy hog, huh?”

“I’m sorry, who said you were a scaredy hog?” Shadow tilted his head.

“Nobody, just myself.” Sonic laughed. He started walking away from the river, pulling on Shadow’s hand. “Come on Shadow. We’re nearly there.”

Shadow chuckled and shook his head, walking up the trail after him. They’re nearly at the base of the mountain at the end of the trail. All they had to do was turn at the next bend and keep walking straight for another mile. But as they reach it, they’re met with a surprising shock.

“Oh no.” Sonic gasped at the sight before them.

“That’s gonna be a problem.” Shadow agreed.

In front of them, blocking the entire path was a wall of snow that had survived in the canyon crevasse. It was four to five stories high, and the two hedgehogs didn’t bring the right equipment to climb it.

“We won’t even get six feet up there.” Shadow frowned.

“Well what do we do?” Sonic asked. “I don’t wanna turn back just yet.”

“Hold on. Let me think.”

Shadow surveyed the ice and the rocky walls around it. There was no way through the ice, and no way over it. The only option for them if they wanted to continue was to climb around it. He saw a path that they could climb which would hopefully take them around the snow and pointed it out to Sonic. “There’s a bit of a path up there. Maybe we can climb it.”

“That sounds like a good idea.” Sonic nodded, looking at the path as Shadow pointed it out. “It looks a little steep, but I’m sure we can manage, right?”

“Absolutely. Especially with our equipment. But we should only pull that out if we really need it.”

“Agreed.” Sonic nodded, adjusting the straps to his bag over his shoulders. “Come on Shads. Let’s do this.”

And so, with confidence filling their souls, they walked over to the path, ready to climb it to continue their journey on their first date.