Chapter 11 - Professor Mordecai

While the first-years were being escorted to their classes, Emaline gave them a tour of the castle. James was surprised to learn that since the end of World War II, Ilvermorny has greatly modernized and has become more progressive, diverse, and democratic than Hogwarts, and they're even the first wizarding school in the world to use the internet, a No-Maj invention. As they walked through the castle into the Grand Gallery, there were direction signs written in English, French, Spanish, and 20 other languages, including Irish. This showed how ethnically diverse Ilvermorny was. As the group walked through the Grand Gallery, James noticed that there were hundreds of doors. Where did they lead to?

"Hey, Professor Goode," he asked as he raised his hand. "Those doors over there. Where do they lead to?" 
"Well James, there are these ancient tunnels that run underground beneath the school, dug by Webster, Chadwick, Isolt, and James over 300 years ago. Our students mostly use them to get to class or back to their common rooms," she replied. "But they can take you pretty much anywhere around the castle. You'll never know where you'll end up. But be wary. Some of them are very dangerous. So we labeled those as 'forbidden'. A lot of them are undiscovered, so let us know if you find a new tunnel. You MIGHT be given some extra credit."

As the group walked through the corridors, they noticed all of these Pukwudgies that work around the school, carrying scrolls of parchment from one place to another. James looked at many awards, trophies, old photographs, and memorabilia from the old ages. But the caretaker, Mr. Sharp, an old African-American man, glared at James, who looked back at him.
"What are you looking at, boy?" he said rather rudely. James turned away from the old man. Emaline noticed. She put her arm around him, in an attempt to comfort him.
"Are you okay, honey? I see you've met Mr. Sharp," she said tenderly. "Don't worry about him, James. He's just a grumpy old man. If you want him to be nice to you, just stay away from him." She hugged him to guarantee that everything will be okay. 
Also," she said to everyone. "It's Orientation Week. You guys get the chance to acclimate and adjust to life here at Ilvermorny. If you guys are late for class or break the rules...don't worry. The rules here are a little more lenient and relaxed. And no homework, either. You'll be fine. And...if you have any questions or if you're seeking advice, feel free to speak to an older student or a Resident Advisor, and be sure to check the Club Fair out in the Courtyard later this month. Ilvermorny has so many clubs. All of them are great. Well...I'd best be heading back to the Astronomy Tower and you'd best be heading to class. Good luck, everyone." Emaline winked at everyone and Disapparated.

"I also suggest you keep an eye out for his cat, Mr. Ed," said the Pukwudgie, who carried an arm full of scrolls. His name was William. "If you break a rule in front of him, he'll go looking for Mr. Sharp. He's just as mean as that cat from Hogwarts"
"Mrs. Norris?" Melissa asked. 
"Oh, yes. Heard somewhere that they're cousins." The twins just both looked at each other. "Have a good day, kids." he smiled at the kids and then walked away, whistling a merry tune.

The teachers at Ilvermorny were quite an eclectic and interesting mix. Three times a week, the first-years went out to the greenhouses in the vicinity of the Clock Tower to learn about Herbology, with Professor Kilpatrick, an old man, and a World War II veteran, who survived D-Day and The Battle of the Bulge, learning about the many strange and wondrous magical plants and fungi of North America, and learn about what they were used for. They studied the night sky, the planets, and the stars with Emaline on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. She told her students that a friendly competition existed between the students where they must use what they had learned to find an item hidden by Professor Goode herself. 

Professor Godwine, a dumpy old witch from Boston, taught Charms. She was obsessed with classical art, and music and there were sculptures and paintings all over her classroom. She spoke in a thick Boston accent that none of the kids could understand. Surprisingly, only the kids who were actually from New England did. "Shall we begin? Welcome to Charms, Year One, class!" she said jovially. "Now, the first year is always critical because it is always crucial in the art of charmwork. But I am confident that we will take hold with rigor and a passion requisite of such a challenge!"