CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

Start from the beginning

The waiter leaves and Carley looks at me with an amused and surprised look. "What happened to the usual? You almost never get that."

"Oh yeah. Just wanted something different I guess."

"Hey you alright?" She asks concerned.

"Yeah. I'm fine, just thinking about a lot of stuff."

"Look if it's about what happen today, don't worry about it. Remember what you said to Zac, you made the right decision. A public 'Sabrina' humiliation isn't going to change anything."

We sit in an awkward silence for a while and the waiter brings our orders. Not really to interest in what I'm actually consuming, the door of the café opens and a very disheartened Shane walks in. He sees our table and sadly, his face drops even more. Walking over, I know whatever he has to say won't be good.

"Hey guys." He says to Carley and Blake. He then turns to me. "Hey. Um can we go take a walk?"

"Yeah sure." I say getting out of the booth. "I'll be back now guys. Order food so long, I don't think I'm gonna get anything to eat."

"Okay." Carley says and like Gil's usually do when it's to awkward to say out load, we have this girl telepathic conversation thing:

Carley: you gonna be okay? What's going on?

Me: I'm not sure, but I'm good.

We leave the diner and carry on down the road. It's fairly quiet but that's mainly because I don't think anyone wants to be outside in the cold. Neither of us speak for a while and we just walk. I want to ask what's going on but I've seen part in movies.

Either he's going to tell me that he's moving away for ever or this is going to be a relationship intervention. The latter seems more correct when after about five minutes of awkward walking, Shane speaks.

"So there's something we need to talk about."

"Yeah sure. What's up." I try and say nonchalantly. It comes out more as if I don't really give a damn about what he's going to say. Crap.
He stops and turns me to look him in the eye. "What happened between you and Zac at that party?"

"What.. What are you-"

"Sarah you know exactly what I mean. Zac told me everything. Why didn't you?" He stops. "when you left your shoes upstairs, they were from when you were in the closet?"

I can't speak. I'm bursting with rage. The idiot said he would say anything to Shane. It was my call to make when Shane would find out, not his!!

Then again, would I ever have told Shane the truth. It's been a couple of days now. I should have told him the minute I got out of the closet.

"Sarah. Sarah, say something please."

"I...I'm so sorry Shane. I should have told you sooner. I'm sorry." The words stutter out.

"I know why you didn't though." He says and stands up straight, running his hands over his face.

Oh no. No no. He can't know!!

"You're in love with Zac aren't you?"

Before thinking, the only I can come up with is: "No of course not. I love you Shane."

"Sarah don't lie to me. This is hard enough already!!" His voice grows louder and I try taking deep gasps to stop myself from crying. There's no one to comfort me now. I have to face up to this.

"Yes." I say simply but continue as I look into Shane's incredibly sad eyes. "I love you too Shane but you're right I do love Zac. I don't know how to explain it but when you first came along, you made me feel safe and protected. Like being the weird 17 year old who still likes Justin Bieber wasn't a bad thing." The tears finally fall and Shane takes my hands in his.