06. why is this our fault

Start from the beginning

"Okay, you didn't do it then, how—" and the answer came to her mind before she could even ask, of course the pogues would take revenge after what happened with Pope, it has to be JJ who did it, he's the reckless one. But instead of saying anything and blame him she stayed quiet and preferred to talk to the guy later.

"Top, she's gonna kill us" Both siblings well know the look in their mom's eyes and that one she had, was deathly.

"Boat like this don't just sink, Dr. Thornton." He said keeping a little bit of the formality. Their mom was a respectable and important doctor in the entire OBX.

"How much is this gonna cost me?" She asked annoyed, like she was used to the siblings causing problems.

"Ah, submerged 24 hours, so you're lookin' at 25, 30k" the man turned to their mother.

24 hours? She thought to herself. It was more than obvious that JJ could've done it after delivering the grocery at her house, and she even helped him with some money... how ungrateful.

"And insurance won't cover it?" She knew the answer but was worth to try and ask.

The man chuckled "No. not for operator error. Plug wasn't in there" right when he spoke, Cynthia looked at Kate and Topper but that was a blaming look that was given to the siblings and both turned to their mother.

"Well, why— why are you looking at us?"

"Why do you think?" This time had Kate a flashback when they were kids and whenever they did something their mom would give them that exactly glare, even when it wasn't their fault.

There was a time when a little boy used to bother Topper because he spent too much time with his sister, something it was purely jealousy because he was an only child. Kate being Kate, defended her little brother and pushed the other kid to an anthill; the kid of course told his mother and his mother told Cynthia, young Kate admitted it but also told her that was making fun of her brother, their mom didn't care and made her apologize.

Since that moment, the feeling of never stay quiet grew inside of her and young Kate would look rebellious in the eyes of Cynthia but that was just her daughter never letting anyone letting her down, not even her mom and maybe that was the older Thornton hate it. She could make Topper do or say whatever she pleased but couldn't do it to Kate.

"Mom, we didn't do it" Kate spoke for both softly, not wanting to fight with her mom, she wasn't in the mood.

"I did not forget to put the plug in, Mom. It's been sitting in the water a week." But Cynthia didn't care what her kids had to say, she was too mad at them that barely wanted to speak to them.

Kate shrugged. "And I didn't even use the boat" but her mom didn't care.

"I thought that when you turned 16, you'd take more responsibility for your actions. And you Katherine, you're almost 20 I see you're not mature enough" she tried to made them feel bad and she was good at it, it's not like she hasn't been doing it for a long time.

"Mom we did not do this! Are you kidding me? You think I'm that stupid? Why is this our fault" Topper started to sound annoyed and raising his shoulders.

There was a short pause. "Because it usually is" and she left, leaving both teens hurt by her words. Kate looked at the man who was awkwardly standing there and doing his job.

She sighed and walked, taking Topper by the arm. "Let's go" as they were walking to their house Kate took a look a her brother. "You have any idea who could have done it?" Wanting to know if they shared thoughts.