The Chosen- Chapter 32

Começar do início

As expected, Kevin managed to slip into the class just as the bell rang. Orion looked nothing short of victorious that he’d been right. The boy was winded, clutching half a Panini and his hair still a bit damp from a recent shower. But at least his socks matched this time.

The door shut behind him and their too-cheery teacher beamed, “Got here just in time, huh?” Except he didn’t. He was late. He was late enough that there was only one seat left in spite of beating the bell. And, as fate would have it, not only was Kevin late but the last available seat was beside none other than Orion White himself.

"Fuckin’ shit," the words tumbled out on automatic before he could beat his mouth's reflexes.

"What was that?" the teacher turned to him.

"Nothing nothing," he replied knowing that she'd heard him perfectly.

She and all the Chosen nearest to him. Orion included. Orion was doing his best not to do anything to tip off how pleased he was with himself for predicting this outcome. Or that he'd had a hand in this arrangement.

He knew Kevin just well enough to guess his game plan and he wasn't about to sit back and allow it. Kevin would very well try to distance himself and pretend last night didn’t happen. Orion wouldn't give him the chance to ignore him. A person had to be proactive when it came to Kevin. If he left the guy to his own devices, they’d be constantly taking one step forward and three back.

Orion knew that nothing would come out of that kiss last night. He would never expect different and he didn't expect it to happen again either. But they had made a lot of strides last night. They'd opened up, aired a secret or two. It was nice having a friend outside of the Pack. He just wanted to keep Kevin from retreating when they'd been making so much progress.

A reasonable person, for example someone who wasn't Danyel, would have encouraged him to just talk to the boy. Orion figured that his plan was a more fun way to make sure he wasn't ignored.

Kevin plopped into the seat with a sigh that damned that class, the teacher, the system, the world and, especially, his luck. Kevin chanced a glance across and saw Orion busy getting his books out as if nothing about this was weird.

It should have been weird. For Orion at least. What were the odds of getting stuck sitting next to each other? And on top of that, a human had kissed him with no intension of it being a Pack kiss. Most if not all Chosen would kick up a storm over that. Some might have punched him in the mouth for good measure − though he'd admit that Orion didn't seem the type to punch him for it. Kenny on the other hand would have freaked out and done it.

Kevin had stressed about it all night and morning. Worrying himself more and more the closer the time came to go to class. He had seen how calmly Orion had taken it initially but he'd figured Orion would be pissed once the reality settled in. Hell he figured Orion would at least be freaked out about it. Yet there he was, cool as ever. Like it happened every day.

Kevin took a breath and forced himself to relax. If Orion didn't seem upset or pissed, maybe that was a good sign. He should thank his lucky stars that he hadn't messed things up with him. He thought, at least he hoped, that they'd be able to forget his stupid impulsiveness.

Kevin had had enough time to think about it and he could admit that he felt bad for putting Orion in that position. He knew the other boy's religion didn't support that kind of thing but he convinced himself that it didn't count. Orion hadn't gotten the chance to respond to the kiss. He wasn't responsible for it. Kevin was. Orion didn't do anything wrong so it couldn't count…right? Maybe?

Orion adjusted himself in his seat. It was a subtle movement, but with his level contained power, it was like yelling, "Hey look over here!" It sure had the same effect. Kevin was pulled out of his thoughts when he glanced over because lo and behold, there was Orion. T-shirt hem raised and using a folder to fan underneath, the man wasn't even playing fair at this. The tee not only billowed in the breeze, but it did so to make the lines of muscle that more visible.