The Chosen- Chapter 27

So this one is for yet another and the final birthday fan :D this month. Happy Birthday hunni <3 <3 xoxo You got the longest chapter yet (doesn't mean I don't love my other birthday fans too, stop pouting guys)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

::CHAPTER 27::

Danyel's POV

I hate Tuesdays. It's like a second Monday and a pre-Wednesday all wrapped in one. You're as grumpy as Ri's wolf. I glared at the teasing beast in my head. You insulting little son of a bitch. Don't talk about our mother like that. His tone was adequately disapproving enough that I had no response. Grumbling about it all the same, I peered out the window and wondered whether or not to go for a run.

It was sunny out today. That could change in a heartbeat with Rondesdale's unpredictable weather. I pondered up at the deceptively cloudless sky. Just last night there had been torrential rains. Still…a quick run couldn't hurt. Second form? The animal's voice was so small and hopeful that the decision made itself.

"Alright, buddy. Second form run today," I said giving his tail a playful tug in my mind. He hated when I did that and, predictably enough, aimed a growl my way. I didn't apologize because he knew I was hardly ever sorry about messing with him. We were like siblings in that way.

Stripping out of my clothes, I took a breath and braced myself for the shift. Bones changed their size and shape, rearranged themselves and morphed from the very spirit of the animal into physical form. It still hurt but there was a certain pleasure-pain to it too. It was a relief from the heart of the animal to the soul of the human.

Ruffling out his fur, the animal bounded down the stairs and loped across the living room. "Danyel, sweetie. Good. I was just coming to talk to you," Aunty said as she spotted us leaving. The animal paused, far better behaved than he once was.

"You know your uncle and I can't stay here for the season, so I'm going to need you to keep a good eye on the house while we room at the den," she said. Ew. I don't need to have this conversation and I did not need to have those thoughts in my head. They're our aunt and uncle. This is a natural act. It's gross. Old people doing the nasty.

Evidently my emotions showed on the animals face because Aunty shot us a look. "Don't be a child about it," she rolled her eyes, "We've gone through mating season tons of times. I just need you to lock up the house properly. Stay out of the forest after dark unless Asher sends you and you have backup. And please eat actual meals that don't count as dessert. And for the last time, no. Donuts are not substitute bagels."

At my request, the animal tilted his head in question. "Oh, um. We'll be leaving tonight. No parties or 'alcohol sleepovers' or whatever else you want to call it this time. Richard is the exception of course. And Tommy if you want."

The animal sidled up to her and licked the back of her hand. "Yes, I love you too. We'll be back in a couple of days," she said before bundling the animal up into her arms in a big hug. He huffed about being handled like a pup, but I knew he liked the attention.

Uncle tossed him a piece of meat and pat his head, "Be good for me. No more house raves. And for the love of Ahmose, go to school." The animal huffed again but in a way that was clearly scoffing. "Good point. Look who I'm talking to, right?" Uncle said to the him, "Make sure he behaves." Stop insulting me. I'm right here! We're aware, human.