Marjorie patted him on the shoulder. "I don't think it's possible to forget you, Jack."

It was too bad that he didn't catch the subtle bit of sarcasm in her tone, but everyone else did. They all smiled when Jack nodded, looking extremely touched.

"Farewell, my good friend," said Lizzy, stepping forward. "Safe travels."

Tears appeared in Jack's eyes and he shook Lizzy's hand with enthusiasm. "Thank you, Lizzy," he murmured. Kit frowned. Lizzy understood – Jack was odd.

"Thank you, all of you!" He exclaimed, throwing his hands up in the air. Lizzy pulled her hand out of Jack's, not wanting her arm to be pulled out of it's socket when he failed to release it.

After twenty more minutes of laughter, Jack's loud exclamations and long, uncomfortable hugs, they waved to him as he finally left in his loud automobile.

Lizzy inhaled the cool evening air. Even though it was mid-summer, there was still a sharp chill hidden in the warm breeze. It was just cold enough to be comfortable, but even so, Lizzy wrapped her shawl closer around herself.

There was a half moon that night, and the quickly darkening sky was mostly clear – the few clouds in the sky no longer held the colours of sunset, but the faded red and pink still lingered low on the horizon. She sighed and watched the sun finish it's descent, then turned back towards the others.

"I'm going to take a walk around the farm," she shouted after them. "Then I'm going to head to bed."

"Don't stay out to long," Marjorie called back.

Lizzy started off down the well-worn dirt path that led towards the large fields. The grain was growing well, but the potatoes were ripening extraordinarily fast that year. Patrick had described to Lizzy how you knew when a potato plant was ripe, but frankly, Lizzy didn't remember any of what he said. "I hope I won't get quizzed later," she said, smiling.

"Who're you talking to?" said a deep voice right in her ear. Lizzy jumped, suppressing a scream and jamming her shoulder into the person's jaw. He grunted in pain, and Lizzy turned towards him, cradling her shoulder.

"Excuse me? What were you – who are – Kit?!" she squealed when she recognized the person.

"Sorry," he moaned. "I was just going to see if you wanted company."

Lizzy raised her eyebrows for a moment. Then she grinned. "Oh, well. I will take some company if you're still offering it. Thank you, Kit."

He offered his arm – albeit a tad hesitantly – and they continued along.

They stopped on the very same hill she and Patrick had been standing on when they first met Jack. Lizzy smiled at the irony of it, then she stopped – that had been the morning of the fire. Would something equally as bad happen tonight?

Lizzy dismissed the thought. She didn't believe in luck, especially bad. She let it go and enjoyed the view from the hill.

The sky was quite dark now, and Lizzy supposed it was almost ten o' clock. It seemed like there were millions of stars, and the moon was especially bright. The hill was coated in unusual shadow.

"They're beautiful," Kit whispered, looking up. Lizzy nodded. "They are," she murmured.

Then Kit turned to her. "It's a bit chilly out here..." he said, rubbing his arms. Lizzy laughed, breaking the stillness – a sort of spell had enveloped them while they were admiring the sky.

"I'm perfectly warm. Here, take my shawl." She held it out to him, but he refused to take it.

"It's yours. You'll get cold."