Chapter 5

She studies him, his blond hair hides one of his eyes–the one on the right. His eye is a grey-blue, and she can sense some kind of emotion in it, but she can't tell what it is. He has an anchor style beard, and light stubble above his lip. And–it took her a few minutes to process this, but–his eyebrow curls into a spiral at the end.

He's wearing a double breasted suit, with golden buttons. His undershirt is a buttercream yellow, and his tie is black. His shoes are a black as well, they're dress shoes. He has some good fashion sense, if she ever needs help, he'd be the one she goes to. Also Sabo, but according to Luffy, this blond lives closer to her.

The man puts the tray down on the table and stands up, his left hand is placed on his chest. Light bends off of something on his finger and it catches her eye, the object is a plain golden ring, "My name is Sanji. And I know that you must be going through a lot, but I must say, that you are a beautiful woman."

She feels herself getting embarrassed, she places her hands on her cheeks to try and hide her face a bit. How long has it been since I was called beautiful?

"Sanji! How dare you hit me!" Luffy stands up, his chair scratching the floorboards.

But the blond doesn't react and instead just reaches into his pocket and pulls out a cigarette and a lighter. He steps away from her as Luffy swings at him. She watches them as Luffy yells at him and he just continues to dodge. She turns to the rest of the group, and they mainly look embarrassed.

"How do they know how to fight that well?" she points at them, they're just going around the perimeter of the room in their weird fight.

  Nami gives her a small smile, obviously feeling awkward, "It's something we've all picked up living here. Not everyone in this town... is friendly."

  She nods, taking a deep breath. She knew this, she had a feeling about it, but it still stinks. The two men stop as they hear her sigh, both of their eyes staring at her. And as suddenly as the fight began, it was over.

  "I know this sounds a bit inconsiderate," Luffy stretches his arms and sits back in the seat next to her, her eyes widen slightly, but it's not really her first time seeing a devil fruit, and it's not as bad as the skeleton. "But what happened that got you here?"

The question made everything rush back over her, but only because she's trying her best to answer his question. There's so much unknown to her. Like when it all started to go badly, or even the exact place he noticed she wasn't what he wanted. And that what happened, happened way too fast for her to comprehend.

But the worst question of all, is the why. Why her? Why did she have to loose her soulmate? Out of all the people on the planet at the exact moment, why was it her to be taken into custody by the World Government? Why was it her life to be ruined by one mistake?

"I don't know," she shrugs, staring at her hands in her lap, the red string dangling from her finger. "All I do know, for a fact, is that I'm here. And that I've been exiled. All over a soulmate who didn't even love me."

  Nami lets out a sigh, "If it's any consolation, I also lost my soulmate. I didn't really understand it at the time... I mean, I never even met them. They were there one second, and I was tethered. Then in the next second, they were gone, my string was broken and I was alone. I'll never know what happened..."

  "I never met my soulmate either," the black-haired woman turns and looks at her, her blue eyes showing some form of sadness. "But that's my own fault."

  "Years ago, I wasn't happy with who I am," she looks away and at her hands, at her finger where the string hangs. "And I was so unhappy that I was sure whoever was on the other end of my string would hate me... so I cut it. I took a pair of scissors and severed the tie I had with them. My soulmate probably feels that way about me..."

  "So everyone in this town has lost their soulmates?" (Y/n) tilts her head to the side. "Because that's a lot of people on the other side who don't have one either..."

  "No," Luffy stuffs his face with the food Sanji put on the table. "Some of us were born here, and since our parents broke the law, the Government doesn't trust us enough to let us go on the other side and meet our soulmates."

  "But it's okay to not have a soulmate, or even never meet them," Sabo smiles, looking at everyone in the room. His eyes rest on (Y/n) for a short while, probably because she's the newest. "Because falling in love is a process. You can't just expect you to be in love with your soulmate right away."

  "You also can't take into account the type of person your soulmate will be," Ace lets out a deep sigh, running his hand through his hair. "Sometimes you need to leave them. The system isn't always right. Some of the people in this town are here because they needed to get out of a toxic relationship. And they're the ones getting punished despite the others being at fault."

  She nods, this is good information. But not letting someone leave here because of their parent's mistake? That's pretty dumb.

  Sanji takes the empty seat on the other side of her, and she can feel his eyes on her, "Don't dwell on it. Loosing your soulmate is only one event in your life. You should eat, keep your strength up to make more memories. Teach your ex that he should've treated you better so you never had to leave."

>~<