~24~ The soft sounds of music

Start from the beginning

"I appreciate the modesty." He smiles and I bite my tongue. "I will take an acquaintance. It is better than strangers, which is a step in the right direction. Now, I would like to show you something." His hand takes hold of mine - and with a hesitant nod from myself, he leads me towards the castle just as fear clicks back into my mind.

And this was it. The dread creeping in to strangle each nerve and numb any response to flee. The possibility was more than enough to crack through the sugar coated lies of the day - as now I was to be taken to the dungeon, to live out the rest of my days under careful watch where I would only then be taken out to meet my end.

Today was a day of pity, a practiced sendoff in remembrance to my freedom and the soul of my being.

I glance up to the male's profile, his calm features somehow hiding the true intent of my demise even if I could find it - and with a swallow of my fear I look down, still keeping close to his side with the knowledge that I couldn't possibly dig my grave any deeper.

~~~ °•° ~ °•° ~~~

He was humming - just a soft and simple tune that occupied the silence of the hallways he led me down, the corridors of up-kept elegance and grandeur, and the dark hues of a door he reached out to open.

The area was something many only saw in daydreams, a spacious, well lit room of many tall windows and gold plated elegance - of detailed sophistication rivalling every other room in the king's estate - and held my awed gaze like moths drawn to the warm flame. The floor was spotless shades of tan and cocoa brown, a reflection of perfect tiled designs that shifted in show of each small movement made by its occupants, the glimmer from the diamond chandelier hanging above, and the light from once burning candles divided by the evenly spaced panes of glass and lined mirrors.

Everything silently craved attention, from the highly designed walls, to the dark piano sitting near the front wall.

Each nervous thought fell to nothing more than memory.

I gather a breath at the male's soft chuckle - my frame being lead towards the center of the room with flowing grace that helped turn and shift my gaze to the royal before me.

"Have you ever been to a ball before, my dear?"

His question struck me as somewhat odd, something partly shrugged off. "Well, they weren't technically balls, but a few...special occasions back home held formal dances."

"And have you ever danced with a proper gentleman?" He asks and I slowly shake my head, my eyes drawn to his.

"I have only ever danced a few times, it was mainly with my father and some of the men my family had introduced me to, however the times were still enjoyable nonetheless. Describe proper?" I ask with a tone hinting toward a kind playfulness.

"Someone who knows what they are doing. Someone who knows how to sweep a young lady off her feet, treats her like a precious, treasured gift and loves her unconditionally..." George answers and I couldn't help but chuckle, my hands falling to place themselves in front of me.

"You mean...someone like you?"

The royal smiles at my question, his hand placed over his heart as he sighs happily. "I am honored to know you think of me as a gentleman, my love." He says and my light laugh caused the male to smile more.

"You set that up."

"Caught me." He teases, taking my hands in his own to help guide them to his shoulders - his features a gentle memory of pleasant times that shone through his calming irises. "However, I think it is high time we change your history of dances." His hands fall to rest on my waist - a motion that easily caused my breathing to slow like the gentle sway of our beginning dance in the peaceful aura of the room.