Chapter Four

Eliza wakes to Izzy shaking her shoulder "Eli, we've got a lead." she tells her sister. Eliza nods and sits up "I'll catch up with you. I'll just get dressed." she responds, Isabelle nodding and kissing her sister's forehead before leaving. Eliza stretches and gets out of bed to change, running a hand through her hair as she does.

Once dressed, Eliza walks out of her room and into the meeting room where everyone has gathered

Once dressed, Eliza walks out of her room and into the meeting room where everyone has gathered. She walks over to Alec and stands next to him as they listen to Hodge "Magnus Bane. He's over 300 years old. And, as you can see, he's not exactly shied away from the pleasures of every century. His tastes are both exquisite and quite excessive." their mentor tells the group. "He looks like the Downworld's David Guetta." Clary comments. "Guetta's already a Downworlder. Vampire? Ever seen him in the daylight?" Isabelle asks. "Can you two focus? This is not a joke." Alec tells them. "Someone needs to get slayed." Isabelle comments. "Alec's right. Now, Magnus is one of the most powerful warlocks I've ever known. He has a deep mistrust of Shadowhunters." Hodge tells them. "Well, then why did he help my mom remove my memories? Isn't she a Shadowhunter?" Clary asks. "Yes, one of the best. But 'help' might not be the most accurate word. Now, did Magnus provide a service for Jocelyn? Perhaps. But more than likely, your mother paid Magnus handsomely for his magic." Hodge explains. "Warlocks usually require payment before they help anyone with anything." Jace tells Clary. "Word from the Clave is that most of the warlocks have gone into hiding since Valentine began hunting them." Alec tells them. "Valentine must be searching for the warlock, where did Jocelyn..." Hodge is cut off by his circle rune burning. "Hodge, your rune. You okay?" Eliza asks their mentor, getting a nod and reassuring smile in response.

"So how do we find Magnus?" Clary asks. "We don't. Magnus finds us. We'll set up a meeting, somewhere protected. Lure him out of hiding. And I know exactly where we do it." Isabelle smiles showing an invite to a Downworlder rave. Hodge chuckles at the invite "A Downworld rave. Nice, Izzy." Jace smirks. "And where'd you get that?" Eliza asks also smirking. "During my surveillance of the Downworlders. From what I hear, Magnus likes to party." Izzy responds. "He'll never go for it. Not with Valentine trying to kill him." Alec shakes his head. "Of course he will. He'll blend in. Hide in plain sight." Isabelle tells them. "I don't know, it seems..." Clary trails off. "Trust me. If Magnus is coming out of hiding, he's going to one of the biggest parties of the year." Isabelle assures her. "Never underestimate Magnus' hedonism. Or his greed. Come with me." Hodge tells them. The group follows after him into one of the training room, Hodge opening a safe and pulling out a necklace "Is that real?" Isabelle asks. "A four-karat, unheated Burmese ruby. And this necklace has special meaning to Magnus Bane as it was a gift from him to his then lover, Camille Belcourt." Hodge explains. "What, Camille and Magnus were lovers?" Clary asks. "Warlock gets around." Jace comments.

"Magnus bought it in 1857 for the price of his London townhouse. Now, the jewel is enchanted by a spell that alerts the wearer to the presence of demons." Hodge explains. "It's so beautiful." Isabelle smiles. "Magnus has longed to reunite with this necklace. Offer it to him. He might just take the bait." Hodge tells them. "I'll send Magnus a fire message to arrange the meeting. We have to get to Magnus before Valentine does." Jace says walking off. "Izzy." Eliza smiles. Izzy smiles "Let's go get changed." she tells her sister. Alec shakes his head at his sisters as they walk out, arm in arm ""Alec, make sure to wear something that'll help you blend in." Eliza calls over her shoulder.