Back to life

The first night we met in secret

Never in a million year, did I think I'd see my carved weapons again let alone hold them. I even snatched a homemade sniper on the way out - Karma seemed like the sort of guy who preferred guns over blades.

"Riku, are you sure he's coming?" A smirk painted my lips "trust me Noa, he's a curious spirit like us, can't go without answers. Before he walked away, I told him three letters but he hasn't learnt the way we do, so it'll be much more complicated and he's likely to overthink it for one simple reason...his biotic factors haven't been altered as much"

In the distance, I could see the silhouette of the boy trudging towards us with his hands shoved in his pockets. It was obvious to see he was gripping a knife in his left pocket by the slight point pushing out of the side. Trousers weren't mean for stashing weapons but he could've done a little better, I managed to shove a folded up sniper down my leg so a knife wasn't too much of a challenge.

"Aren't you brave? Summoning me like some mutt" I tapped my temple with my index finger "I didn't summon you. I said nothing in the note about coming here, and I couldn't verbally speak at the time, you just want answers" I took my seat on the log again "By the way you hold your hands, I can see you like guns way more than knives although you use both"

He examined his hands "how so?" I took out my own hand, it was more flexed than his "firearms rely on grip and being able to take the backlash when you fire a bullet. A blade relies on being able to move swiftly and the ability to adjust without stopping" he was starting to see what I meant by the way he flexed his fingers.

"Where did you learn that?" I shrugged poking the fire with a nearby stick in a bored motion "experience mostly, but I'm good at science so there's that. Also it's something you have to know in order to make the perfect weapon"

I slipped the folded up sniper out of my leg "speaking of weapons, have this. Think of it as a 'thanks for attempting to save my life' gift"

His hands traced the sniper "my my! The bat wasn't lying when she said your craftsmanship was impressive!" I watched him aim the weapon checking the scope and from what I could tell, it was up to his high standards.

I was winning him over, I could feel it! "So do you have a name or should I just keep calling you 'sacrifice'?" I blushed slightly "Riku. Riku Toga, and from what I've heard - you're the reincarnation of 'Karma' itself, who just so happens to go by that name?"

For a short while, he just stood there probably studying my words "So you're not as naive as I thought as well as dangerous

For a short while, he just stood there probably studying my words "So you're not as naive as I thought as well as dangerous...but there's one thing I can't seem to wrap my head around - what did you mean by 'H', 'B' and 'E'?"

I grabbed a twig and jabbed the fire again mindlessly before tossing it into the flames "We're both smart enough to know we'll need a cover story unless you don't want my help? 'H', 'B', 'E' - human behavioural experimentation"

I glanced at Noa holding eye contact "truth is, I used to work in drug-use. Things like tranquillisers and acids! That gun shoots more than just bullets if you get my meaning"

I pointed to the ammo cartridge "one tranq dart lasts around an hour, with residual effects for two or three hours. I know people who make them still so if you need anymore just get in contact through Noa here" I gestured to the smaller girl waving sweetly "Riku is usually inaccessible to people due to the containment facility we're all kept in, her door is a little more 'difficult' to access"

Out of nowhere, flashlights could be seen scourging the outer perimeters of the school probably for us "'milky' we gotta go!" I held up a hand needing to hear Karma's answer "I think you'll be a useful asset to me. Tell me, what's in the tranq darts?"

My finger tapped barrel of the gun "90% ketamine and 10% zinc" his smile shone brightly through the darkness "I'll be in touch" we didn't wait any longer to dash around guards back to our facilities after putting out the fire and picking up our gear.

"Noa, I think we're back in business" we fist bumped as our feet reached my door "be careful on your way out. Security is on high alert right now so they'll grab the first brat they see, milk or no milk"

The girl nodded before disappearing down the hall with silent footsteps. I finally felt like I was doing something right! I'd need to read up on my chemistry and soldering, I had a feeling that I'd be making more firearms very soon, but for now - bed is where I need to be and preferably not conscious.