The Dangling Foot and the Bed of Hay

Start from the beginning

"I am fine too!" Madhav said mockingly.

"I was going to address you to!" Prishati said grinning, "Anyways, there is a new kid!"

It had become an unsaid ritual to check the new students out and see if their age was about the same.

"Ooh! Our age?" Parth said excitedly.

"I guess so! She seems to be 10." Prishati said.

"Did you say she?" Madhav said propping himself on one elbow and piercing Parth's thigh with it.

"Madhav!" Parth shrieked.

"Oh! Sorry!" Madhav apologized correcting his posture, "What is she like?" asked Madhav turning to Prishati.

"I didn't get a very good look of her but she is beautiful." Prishati said.

"Of course she is!" Madhav said rubbing his hands in excitement.

"What is her name?" asked Parth.

"Keshavi. And rightly so, she possesses the stubbornest strand of hair, which just does not go behind her right ear."

More stubborn than yours? Parth was about to ask, but he was interrupted by Madhav faceplanting the ground.

"Madhav." Prishati screamed as she ran towards the fallen boy.

She tried to help him get up, but he stood up and started running towards the gurukul. Till then Parth had climbed down, they both exchanged a look and ran after him.

When they reached him, it was as if there was an enchantment they were witnessing. The girl, Keshavi was indeed beautiful. She was as fair as milk which was unusual for the people in the peninsula. Her light brown eyes were like newly blossomed lotuses. Her long black hair was tied in two braids. Her face was as if sculpted for attaining perfection. She was wearing a rudraksha necklace with a brown blouse and dhoti paired with a cream angavastram. Her aura though displayed timidness and kindness. Her doe eyes shot from here to there, until they set on Madhav. She looked at him and frowned. And rightly so.

It was if Madhav was held by a superior force. If any passerby would see him, they would believe he is not breathing. He was standing utterly still. The only thing in motion was his white dhoti, which was fluttering in the wind. But if someone heard very hard, they would listen to the heart of the boy beating at an inhumane speed. Madhav was about to speak something. Keshavi seeing this inched towards him. Parth and Prishati exchanged a look, and all was understood.

Parth ran towards Madhav picking him up and held him up like a mother holds a child.

"He is ill. About to faint. Move aside!" Parth screamed and the students around parted ways.

"What? He looked fine!" said Keshavi, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Oh no! He has a disease, he does that sometimes. He looks fine, but he is very ill. Said Prishati now by her side.

"Will he be okay?" asked the girl worried.

"Oh yes! You come with me, I will show you around." Prishati said dragging Keshavi with her away from Madhav.

-:-

Prishati heard footsteps behind her. She turned around and grinned at Parth about to say something.

"Don't. You got the easier deal." Parth said looking exhausted.

"It was that bad huh?" she asked in a soft tone.

"I just spent 3 hours listening to him talk gibberish! Anyways how is the girl?" Parth asked trying to change the subject.

"She was initially worried. But now she is fine. Anyway, how did you come here? Put him to sleep?" said failing Parth's plan to change the subject.

"Sleep? Not an option. I left Nakul with him, who is actually listening to his gibberish."

Prishati grinned and then she looked away at the distance. Parth had made himself comfortable on the bed of hay that was kept on the ground. He looked up, surprised to find Prishati, not beside him. She was looking particularly nowhere. Her eyes were clouded. Parth knew what was happening. He sighed.

"Hey!" Parth called after her breaking Prishati's trance.

"Yes?" she asked confused.

Parth just patted the hay beside him, indicating it was empty. Prishati smiled and walked towards him, Parth noticed that this smile didn't reach her eyes. Once Prishati was laying beside him he asked.

"What is it?"

"What is what?" Prishati asked genuinely perplexed.

"Don't. I know that look. What is it?" Parth asked propping on his elbow and facing her.

"It's just... I was thinking what would happen 10 years from now? Will I be laying here beside you, making jokes about Madhav, will I-" Prishati stopped as she felt Parth's head resting on her shoulder.

"You think too much." Parth said not feeling the need to elaborate.

"No, I ju-"

"Bla Bla Bla. You do. You think too much. Does it really matter if we are lying in the bed of hay ten years from now? No. Does it matter that we are now lucky enough to enjoy each other's company? Yes. Prishati when you think too much about the future you ruin your present, and when you are not in your present how will you think about the past in your future? Wooh! I have no idea how I just said that!" he said grinning, "To answer your question, I do not know. If destiny wishes so maybe we will. But I know one thing all that matters is the moment you are in. Because that is life. Live in the moment, Prishati. Live in the moment."

Prishati murmured in agreement.

"10 years from now you will remember that you were soiling the hair of the most handsome boy in the Gurukul." Parth said grinning.

Prishati laughed as she wiped her tears away.

"I am bored with your braid." Said Parth.

"They are almost open now. You can make whatever you want, up to you." Prishati said.

"Later. When we get up." as he let a breath out at peace. Prishati rested her head on his.

माधव की माधवी आई है

अब रंग चढ़ेगा प्रेम का

पर क्या पार्थ पहचान पायेगा

क्या महत्त्व उसके जीवन में प्रिशति का

गुरुकुल में सब मंगल है

पर परीक्षा तो आएगी

खतरे की कोई आहट है

संकट कोनसा अब छायेगा