Chapter 7

Newt held me as I cried. "I don't even know what the shuck the variables are. And now one of my closest friends hates me because of it." I sobbed. "Hey, he's probably just messed up in the head because of the sting. He's still Alby. He'll remember that you've lost your memories as well, and that we can't go against each other because we've all changed now. We're different people." He said. We were sat against a tree trunk as the sun was setting over the Glade. "I have to start my days in the Slammer tonight." I told him. Newt started mumbling. The only things I heard was "Shuck faces....stupidest decision....3 days my arse." I laughed at him as I sniffled and sat up as I wiped my eyes. Looking at him, he opened his arms, which I gladly curled up in. He kissed the top of my head. I lay there with him for a minute, trying to forget all my worries and feeling emotionally drained from crying. "I need to go." I told him. "Okay." he sighed, before helping me up. Due to the way he yanked me up, our faces were just inches away. My heart started beating rapidly before we heard a snapped twig behind us. "Can you two shanks stop snogging cause Sarah needs to leave?" Minho commented. "We weren't kissing." I told him, walking out of the trees. "Yeah, whatever you-" "Slim it shuck face." I cut him off. I sat as I watched Minho lock me in, seeing Gally glare at me from a distance. Putting my hands on the bar, Newt came up to me. "He wants me dead." I told him. "Why would Gally want you dead?" He asked. "I have no idea." I admitted.
--------------------------------------
If it was one meal a day, at least it was a pretty decent meal. Since Frypan disagreed with the judgement completely, he made sure the one meal I had was filling enough to last me at least half a day. Thomas came over and sat by the gates as the sun started inching down. "Alright Tom?" I asked. He nodded, obviously tired from his first day in the maze. "How was it running with Minho? Did the shank piss you off the whole time?" I teased, saying it a little louder as he walked by. "LOVE YOU TOO SARAH!" He shouted back. I think I need to get stung by a griever. He said in my head. What?!?! I replied. If Alby got his memories back and I created the maze, maybe getting mine back means I'll find a way out. Especially now that Theresa has brought the Griever Serum. He argued. Tom. You don't know how dangerous it is. What if something happens? I asked concerned. "Hey. What you both doing?" Chuck asked coming over. "Nothing." I said. "How's everything in the outside world?" I joked, starting to eat. "Boring." He said. Sarah. I need to tell you something. Gally found me after the meeting of the Keepers and told me "Whatever you came here for - I swear on my life I'm gonna stop it. Kill you if I have to." I started chocking on my food, quickly gulping down water before taking deep breaths. Dude. You're in a load of klunk.
Then I thought about how Gally was acting towards me.
Correction. We're in a load of klunk.
--------------------------------------
It was getting darker. The walls were still open, due to close in a few minutes. Newt came over to sit in front of the bars. Taking my hands in his through the bars I told him "I'm slowly going insane." he chuckled at me as I explained "I have nothing to do! Life in the Glade is non-stop but now I'm doing nothing!" I told him.

After a few moments of silence he asked "What were you and Tommy talkin' about?" In suspicion. "Nothing really. Keepers meeting, Alby waking up. Why you ask in'?" I said curious. He had a guilty look on his face. "Omigosh, were you jealous?" I teased, in a joking manner. "Maybe a little." he admitted, and I was shocked by this. I never thought Newt would be one to be jealous. "You just seem to be getting closer to him and I didn't wanna lose you over him." he told me truthfully. "Yeah, I'm gonna ditch you, the guy who I first came in here with and was my best friend from the beginning, for a shank that appeared a week ago." I joked.

I kissed his hand and he smiled as we realised something over by a group of people. "What's the matter?" He asked. I looked above at the moons position. "The walls should've closed by now." I said in fear. Squeezing his hand I told him "Go sort everyone out. They need you." He looked hesitant. "I'll be fine. I'm in here, nothing can get me. Now go sort everyone else. But be careful." I reassured him. He gave me a determined nod before running off as best he could with his limp.

A few minutes later I heard screaming, thumping feet and a dreaded mechanical parts moving. I tried to close into the wall as much as I could, attempting to hide in the corner. I heard one scream and a yell of "Run!" As I heard footsteps in my direction. Everyone running past the cell I heard the whirring stop. All of a sudden an arm blasted through the cell door. I was trying not to make a sound. It tried grabbing something in front of it, piercing metal claws making a clanging sound. It then went over to the other side, feeling all around for something. There was no escaping it. It came more and more towards me and soon found its target. Grabbing me harshly it started dragging me kicking and screaming, using my feet on the corner of the step to try and stop it from taking me out the Slammer. I was then dropped to the ground as the Griever retreated. "Nothin can get ya huh?" Newt told me as I looked outside to find who attacked the monster. Yanking me out of the cell we both legged it to the Homestead, holding hands, not letting each other get away the whole time.

As soon as we were in, Glader's began to bar up the door. Minho, Alby, Tom and Theresa came up to both of us, grabbing is in hugs of relief. Someone told us to shush when we heard the whirring outside again. Another hand came through the roof of the Homestead. It grabbed Chuck, and Thomas lead everyone to pull him back in. Eventually, the Griever gave in, but then went straight for Alby.
Pulling him back in, the third time was unlucky. Thomas tried to attack it with a spear, but quickly dropped the weapon when I noticed something in his arm. The attacker was grabbing an innocent Glader that we didn't have time to grab ourselves, and he was crashing into the roof and rolling away with the mechanical killers. But as he knocked into the roof, all the poles holding up the structure came crashing down onto me, who was stood directly underneath, making some attempt to grab him. "Sarah! We need to get her out!" Alby yelled. "Thomas' is under there too." Theresa yelled. Tom... I said, weakly trying to connect to him. I got stung Sarah. I got stung.
And as the weight was lifted off me, I could feel my eyes drooping.
--------------------------------
I woke up to find Newt towering over me. "Oh thank shuck that your okay." he said. My head was in his lap as I was lying across the ground. Tom was in the same position, just waking up by Theresa, who had an empty syringe of grief serum in her hand. Sitting up, Alby and Minho were outside the cell. "You okay?" Alby asked in a deep voice. I nodded, smiling at him a little. He seemed to be back to normal. Theresa was asking Thomas what he remembered. "I did create the maze. We all did. We did it for WICKED. Some important cause." And he started explaining how he thinks there's a way to get out, before he blurted out. "And our names.They aren't even our real names. There nicknames after famous scientists. Like Alby after Albert Einstein. Or me. Thomas for Thomas Edison. And Newt, you're named after...after..." "Newton." I mumbled and everyone turned to look at me. "Issac Newton." I stated.