Chapter 9

We stood behind the wall after Thomas and Minho stopped. We knew that it was just around the corner. We all knew what could happen.
I squeezed Newts hand and he squeezed mine as we walked to the front where they were gathered giving out instructions.
"Is there a Griever?" Chuck asked.
"Yeah." Thomas whispered, everyone sucking in their breaths.
"You stick with me and Theresa, Chuck. You'll be fine." I reassured him, getting an arrow out of my quiver and notching it onto the string. I felt protective of him. He didn't deserve to be thrown in here in the first place, but ever since Chuck had came I felt responsible for him. That might be just the motherly figure in me or we might of been close before the maze. I may never know. But for now, I was going to protect him.
"Once we're over there, you need to jump through. We'll put a plank over so you know where the hole is and you can climb over to us. Just get us in that Griever hole and we'll be able to escape." Thomas explained.
"We stick together, we get through this, we get out now." Thomas told everyone.
"Or we die trying."
Newt squeezed my hand again, me returning it.
"Ready?" Thomas asked, changing arms and banging his spear on the ground.
Everyone replied with yeses and looks of determination on their faces.
"Alright." he muttered.
"Let's go!" He yelled, as we all began running into what could possibly be a death sentence.
Everyone screaming as we ran towards the cliff, a Griever guarding the door.
It began ticking and whirring as soon as it saw us, advancing on us as we advanced on it.
I stayed backwards, shooting arrows from afar as the boys attacked. I saw Theresa cut off a leg but was soon distracted when I saw Chuck running towards the edge. Shooting my last arrow at the beast the boys had began edging towards the cliff with, I ran over to Chuck, whilst hearing a scream of someone falling. Me and Theresa both grabbed him, and emerging from the shadows I saw another mechanical nightmare. I instantly began shooting arrows as the two Glader's ran, realising another one and shooting at it before running back to the others, who now saw the other Grievers that were advancing.

I could see the other two using one of the dropped spears to find the Griever hole, whilst I attempted to use one of my arrows to attack the monster from up close. That was, until I saw a familiar body thrown to the side like a rag doll.
"ALBY!" I yelled, quickly attacking the Griever that was coming towards me. More people took over and Newt yelled at me:
"SARAH! GO WITH CHUCK AND THERESA!"
"YOU THINK IM JUST GONNA LEAVE YOU HERE?" I asked.
Something grabbed me and I noticed the feeling of his lips on mine for about 2 seconds.
"I said go. NOW RUN!" He yelled staring me in the eyes and going back to attacking the monster.
I ran forward, finding the stick indicating how far to jump and I threw myself of the edge of the cliff.
As I landed, I rolled on the floor, finding Thomas distracting a Griever. I began to shoot from behind, getting its attention as Theresa shouted at him.
"THE CODE. WHAT WERE THE WORDS?" She yelled.
"FLOAT!" I yelled, jumping out of the way of the monster.
"STIFF." Tom yelled, running around the perimeter.
"BLEED!" I shouted as I joined Thomas.
"DEATH!" I botched an arrow.
"CATCH!" He yelled, I aimed.
"PUSH!" I finished telling her, as I shot at the griever, making it wail in pain once more.
"THERE'S A BUTTON. IT SAYS 'DESTROY MAZE'." Chuck yelled.
"PUSH IT!" I yelled.
They seemed hesitant, me and Thomas trying to dodge the Griever that was attacking us.
"IF YOU DON'T PUSH IT, WE WILL BE DESTROYED." I yelled at them,as all of a sudden, the Griever shut down and sprawled onto the floor.
You could hear the heavy breaths of everyone in the room.
"We did it." Chuck whispered in astonishment.
"We sure did." I told him.

Thomas got a plank off the floor, which we organised to fit on the edge of the cliff.
I watched as each Glader came through, my heart racing as more and more came through but not any of them being Newt.
Suddenly two familiar faces jumped through announcing:
"That's the last of us."
I ran over, grabbing both boys in a hug as Minho and Newt returned it. I also gave Theresa, Thomas and of course Chuck one. But then Frypan said:
"Soooo, what now?"
"There's a door over here!" A Glader yelled.
Newts hand found mine again, as we walked into the room of pure white. We then saw a dark, circular opening the other side.
"It's a slide." I said.
"I'll go first." Newt volunteered.
"Chuck, you go after him. Then I'll go. The rest of you organised yourselves into an orderly file and wait a while before following." I told them.
"How do we know where it's leading?" Theresa asked.
"I'm sure they didn't put us through all that with only one other option to get out of here so we could die sliding down a chute." I told her.
Newts hand detached from mine, a feeling of security leaving me.
After a while, Chuck followed, and I waited for about a minute until I jumped my legs up and began sliding down the tube.