Chapter 2

Ramika's lips and shoulders trembled as she watched the broadcast.

"It can't be. This has to be a dream or a nightmare or..."

"Hey, woah, is that your apartment?" Seikuro asked.

"Y-Yeah, I have to go, I have to see if anything survived. All my things were there." Ramika stumbled as she stood up, legs quaking.

The living room door was slid open by Najato, having changed into a grey t-shirt and jeans. He took notice of Ramika's panic.

"Hey what's wrong?" He asked.

"M-My apartment i-it," she sputtered, choking on her words.

"It got torched," Seichi chimed in.

"Do you have no tact?!" Seikuro snapped.

Najato's eyes widened, "Wait what?"

Ramika pointed a quivering finger at the television, still displaying the news. He watched for a few minutes, as he did Ramika walked through the living room door.

"Hold on a sec! Iwagata, right? You aren't really thinking of going like that are you?" Seikuro asked. "If you show up in a bloody sailor uniform the police are gonna hound you. That'll be insanely stressful. First graduating middle school, then wounded by delinquents and your place is set on fire? That's insanely stressful... you gotta calm down and rest."

"Geez, did you take therapy lessons over break or what?" Seichi asked.

"But I have irreplaceable things there, that mean a lot to me, not to mention I need to check for acceptance letters from high school and-"

"Whoa, whoa, even if you do go... that fire looked bad. Whatever you had there, there's no way it survived. I mean tomorrow you should go to your apartment and the cops, let them know you're alright, but I agree with Seikuro you should rest here. I don't think you can stay at your place," Najato interrupted.

"Rest here? I've already imposed enough I can't-"

"It's not a big deal, lemme ask Dad if you can stay with us for awhile."

"I guess, realistically I don't have many other options."

Najato walked Ramika back across the hall before knocking on the office door. Takase slid the door open.

"Something I can help you with?"

"I uh, can I come in?" Ramika asked.

Takase nodded, gesturing the two in before sitting in his desk chair. Ramika approached the desk and bowed her head deeply.

"I know this sounds impossible and crazy but, I recently learned my apartment was burnt down an hour ago. Would it be alright if I stayed here?"

"What? Your apartment?"

"Here hold on I'll get the article."

Ramika fished her phone out of her other pocket, fiddling with it before pulling up a webpage displaying the news. Takase's eyes scanned the article before sighing.

"Poor girl, you've been through a lot. Well this dojo is a sanctuary for those experiencing hardship, but we're not a charity."

"I understand."

"Are you any good at housework and cooking by any chance?"

"Yes, I'm good at both."

"In that case, I can offer you a small loan, something to get you back on your feet. You'll have to repay it in rent; in time though. In exchange for housework, cooking and rent we can offer you a room here. I believe all the rooms still have futons in the closets, it may not be very much but it's what I can offer."