Chapter Five: It Comes In Threes.

Valgard, Duchy of Sorrows, Year of Our Gods 1520. 

    Palace of Tallon, Valgard city-center. 

   "I have selected the twelve of you to serve and advise me faithfully. To look upon me, not as a fragile woman, but as a force of nature. As your true and rightful sovereign. If any one of you think this task beyond you, say so now. You will not get another chance." Lilliana's emerald gaze was strong and steady as she made eye contact with each and every one of her council members. Her mother had helped her select them and for the first time in Sorrow's history, the council included women. The first, her mother and the second, the Countess of Syngyard, who happened to be Lilliana's aunt on her mother's side. The rest of the council was made up of men. None of them single minded as the council before them, and none of them exceeding the age of 35 summers, either. They were all high ranking noblemen, or a up and coming nobleman's first son. Lilliana had poured over credentials well into the night and had finally decided upon these twelve people to advise her. 

   Each one of them remained silent, and the Lady Syngyard offered Lilliana a reassuring smile. Lilliana nodded and sat down at her place at the head of the council table. She waited for her advisers to follow suit. Her mother sat, as always, at her right hand. 

     "We have come across a true problem. Though we are a rich nation, we are small and we are but an island. Half of the Six Domains are threatening war, and the other half are offering their princes like I am at a market place." Lilliana folded her hands on the table top causing her forest green damask sleeves to pool around her delicate fingers. The rings of estate glistened in the light seeping in from the large, arched windows to her left. 

     "On top of this, we have rebellions breaking out here, on our own soil, because of this new fang-led 'Fair Faith' and I cannot help thinking that the threat of war and the threat of treason run of the same waters. I have sent two spies of my choosing into the rebellion centers to find and retrieve the leaders. I will make an example out of them." 

   Lady Syngyard motioned for a turn to speak and Lilliana waved her permission. 

"If I may, Your Majesty." Lady Syngyard stood. Her gown rustled like butterfly wings at the movement. "I believe the Six Domains have created this new religion in an effort to incite war, I do not think it came about innocently. It is a shame that our own people would fall for it. Except, I do no think they have. I have heard that the Six Domains have sent over people of their own to infiltrate us and create sparks. I motion that we send troops into the country sides and rebellion centers to sniff them out. I do not think that just two spies will do. That is only my  opinion." The countess sat once more after dipping her head to Lilliana. 

   "Though I appreciate you heavy handedness, Lady Syngyard, I am forced to disagree. Troops and the like would only arouse suspicion. They would flee faster, hide better. We cannot risk losing these rats in the mix. I need answers to my questions, and they must be made a spectacle." Lilliana's mother placed her hand on her daughter's arm then, a reassuring gesture that said she agreed with Lilliana without ever having to say it out loud. 

  Lord Yutlen stood then. "I am in agreeance with Your Majesty. Although, I believe we should take it a step further. Allow the envoys bearing portraits to come to court, let them show you their paintings of their eligible princes. Pacify them. For if they should feel jilted, they might allign with the other domains against us. An entire collection of nations against Sorrow would leave us almost nonexistent." Yutlen sat, adjusting his collar. 

     Lilliana tapped her chin with one elegant finger. "I think that is a proactive idea, Lord Yutlen. Send for the envoys to return to court. Tell them I am feeling suddenly....amorous. We shall arrange a feast in their honour and a tournament as well. Surely they can not go away thinking that we have not shown them true and lasting kindness." She motioned for her secretary to come to her side. When he did, she whispered to him. 

 "Write a letter to each envoys' master and tell him that I should like for them to visit for a week or so in the upcoming summer. How can they order war upon a nation they are in?" Her secretary chuckled to himself and walked backwards to the edge of the room. 

 "Other than these issues, is there anything else we must discuss?" Lilliana asked. 

"There is one other thing, Your Majesty." Her mother began, unsure.

"What? What is it?" It was not often that her mother loathed to tell her something. 

"There has been an outbreak of plague in the city. We wish for you and your household be moved into the countryside until the outbreak abates. Your lady, Lady Delacord, has perished while visiting her Tallon home." Lady Syngyard finished as gently as possible. 

     Lilliana's heart dropped. Plague. Just what the country needed. War, religious crisis, and a plague. 

  "Horrible things really do come in threes, don't they?" She thought cynically. 

Lilliana sighed. "Very well. I will instruct my ladies to prepare for courts removal to the country side. I can be prepared in three days time. I trust you will take care of the details?" The council nodded back at her and she stood, already exhausted by the day that had not really began yet. She moved to leave and her council started to bow, but she turned back round, her eyes pricking with unshed tears. 

"See to is that the Lady Delacord's belongings reach her family. I would like to bestow on them a pension for her excellent service." Unable to continue talking for fear of a waterfall of tears erupting from her, Lilliana fled the room. 

Had it been Lady Dollivan, Lilliana thought as she darted to her presence chambers, I would have died too.