Chapter Two: A Trust Undone.

Valgard, Duchy of Sorrow. Year of Our Lords, 1520. 

    Palace of Tallon, Valgard city-center. 

     On the royal council served six men, none younger than twenty-eight summers. Although, most of them were aged and bent, having served her father when he was just a young duke. Lilliana trusted these men and thought that as long as she heeded their words, Sorrow would prosper. It was an arrangement she had thought to be advantageous. She had hoped that they would truly guide her. However, five of these six men thought that no woman was fit to rule without a husband by her side, if at all. They preferred that Lilliana find a suitor quickly, so that the rule of Sorrow could be handed over to her lawful husband, and she could sit next to him as no more than a pretty figurehead for a kingdom she had no hand in. 

     The first Privy Council meeting was not a success, to say the very least. Lilliana entered through the thick oak doors and stood at the head of a long, sturdy table. Around the table bowed her advisors, hats from their graying heads. When she instructed them to be seated, they did so, but one remained standing. Lord Tutley was a large man, most would say built just like a fortress. Tall, square, and thick. His beard reached the table top and his moustache hid his lips. To anyone else, he was rather intimidating. To Lilliana, he was only half the size of her father. 

"Your Majesty, we have much to discuss. We have asked your mother to join us, with your permission." He cleared his throat and gestured for a page boy to bring forth the Dowager Grand Duchess. After a moment, Joan stepped forward from the doors stationed at the far end of the room. She was smiling brightly at Lilliana. She did not curtsy, but then, she was not expected to. 

"Mother." Lilliana rose from her place at the head of the table and moved to her mother's open arms. 

"You look wonderful, Your Majesty." Joan murmured in her daughter's ear. "I can see the old men have informed you of very little regarding Sorrow. It does not surprise me. Perhaps you and I will discuss crafting you a entirely new council, hm?" The Dowager took her daughter by the arm and led her back to her seat, and then taking the seat directly to Lillian's right hand. "In the meantime, I will inform you of all you need to know. Our economy is thriving, our treasury is full. In that respect, we face no harm. However, to three nations from the Six Domains wish to take our lands for their own." 

     Lilliana's face grew dark. "Take our land for their own? That will never happen! I would just as soon sink us into the bloody sea!" 

     "Calm yourself, Your Majesty." Joan clasped Lilliana's clenched fists and stroked them with her thumb. "Your council will advise you to marry, as they do not trust a woman as ruler." Joan tossed a disdainful glance towards the men of the table, who's heads were bowed shamefully.  "But I believe, as I have always believed, that a woman can rule single-handedly, without interference from a husband. Your father wished for you to marry for love, not for advantage. Sorrow has a vast army, and a well toned navy. We have nothing to worry about. Until our enemies show that they really intend to attack, we needn't entertain the thought of a royal wedding." 

     Lilliana blinked rapidly, a smidgen panicked that she was expected to marry so soon. Even if her mother insisted that there was no need, Lilliana knew that her council would not surrender so easily. They were, after all, stubborn old men. "Thank you, mother. As always, your words comfort me. I thank you for your support and wisdom." 

     Joan rose from her seat beside her daughter and pressed Lilliana's warm hand to her cold cheek. "You will do well, child. I must leave now, I am not feeling entirely in good health. I must see the physician." WIth that, Joan escaped the privy council chambers for her own.