Prologue.

Valgard, Duchy of Sorrows. Year of Our Gods, 1525.

Palace of Tallon.

"Your Majesty, we face great opposition. Much of the world is converting to the Fair Faith, and here we stand, worshiping our true Gods. They threaten us, they move against us. We are a small country. Our wealth will not protect us from attack! Our alliance with the King of Jaron has fallen through, as you have refused to marry his son, Prince Aleck. What will become of us?"

"Your Graces, I appreciate your advice, truly I do; but I will not marry unless I know love. Every country in history has tried to attack and steal our lands. Have they ever prevailed?"

She stood from her throne at the head of the long, oak table. Her shimmering gown of gold and crimson stayed firmly in place, making her appear even more in control. Her eyes, the color of uncut emeralds, shimmered with disapproval.

"Answer me! You seem to be so outspoken before, Lord Wriothsley!" The small man trembled, causing his cloak of wolf's fur to shake as well. His head hung low, unwilling to meet the gaze of his sovereign.

"No, Your Majesty. They have never succeeded." He murmured. "But..."

"Hold your tongue." The Duchess commanded. It seemed her bright, red hair sizzled with her intensity. "My father left to me a great army, a strong navy, and a large wealth. Every Prince, King and Emperor in the Six Domains would have me as his wife, I only need command it. No war will befall us. If we were a weak people, perhaps this would be a true danger, but we are not. Those who oppose us are not stupid, my lords. I control the Domains without ever having to touch them."

The Six lords of her council did not answer, only mumbled respectful agreements and waited for the Duchess to command them.

"Now, my mother is growing tired of court. She is, after all, graying around the edges. She wishes to retire with her household to the country side. Lord Tuckemp, you will arrange this, yes?"

A lean man, no older than 30, nodded his head silently from the far end of the table.

"Good. Now, go. I grow tired of your fear. I will not marry until I love and am loved in return, am I understood?"

A chorus of" "Yes, Your Majesty." resounded off of the walls of the privy council chambers.