2. Cedric Diggory

You took your seat in potions with your fellow house Hufflepuff alongside the fourth year Ravenclaws. Potions was anything but a class you enjoyed, you were forced to work in silence on near impossible potions and the teacher of your class was the ever so charming professor Snape. Everyone sat up straight in their chairs as the door slammed and the professor strutted to his seat at the front of the room. Amazingly, he looked somehow to be in a worse mood than usual and glowered at the class before instructing them to open their text books and start on a Skele-Gro potion.

"I didn't think it was possible for someone to be that angry" your friend, Cedric whispered to you.

"Shush," you giggled quietly, "he might hear you. You know that would be the worst detention to get"

Cedric nodded as he looked up to check Snape hadn't overheard "I think we're safe for now" he whispered back.

The class was coming to a close however your potion had somehow managed to be purple instead of the orange it was supposed to be. Snape swept around the room making rude remarks until he came up to your potion and growled.

"Ms Y/L/N have you followed ANY of the steps from your book? I would expect more from a fourth year, this is a simple potion." Professor Snape snapped.

You stood silently in shock and fear unable to speak. The whole class was staring in your direction, well aware that you would never speak back to a teacher. Why were you so useless at such an easy thing?

"10 points from Hufflepuff and you will be serving a detention with me tonight," he continued almost immediately.

"Actually professor-" you turned around to see Cedric now standing over your cauldron "this is my potion and I was just getting Y/N to try and help me get it back to the colour it should be. Y/N really did nothing wrong."

You watched as your professors face drew darker and darker, "no helping other students is permitted in my class unless explicitly instructed to do so by myself, another 10 points from Hufflepuff and you shall both be serving detentions with me tonight!"

Snape flicked his cape and returned to his desk, proceedingly dismissing the class.

You ran out the classroom instantly and turned to Cedric "oh Cedric why did you do that now you have detention too."

He grinned at you sheepishly as you continued in the direction of the Great Hall "I just figured that I'm more likely to survive a detention with Snape than you are. I'd hoped that you'd have been let out of your one" he said almost sadly.

You leaned against him as you walked "thank you, but you really shouldn't stick up for me when I'm the one who's done something wrong, I deserve the detention, you don't"

You were pulled to the side by Cedric out of the way of the remaining students leaving class.

"Hey," he said resting a hand on your cheek, "don't think you deserved that detention. And don't think that I won't stick up for you if it ever happens again."

You blushed as you could feel all the emotions you'd suppressed towards Cedric over your time at Hogwarts reblossom. He really was the sweetest guy you had ever met.

He stared at you, still with his hand on your cheek " I uh- I've been meaning to tell you something" he said removing his hand and looking towards the ground.

You felt embarrassed, surely he must know how you feel after that 30 second stare off.

"You can tell me anything," you smiled to him, trying to hide the sadness you felt.

He stayed quite for several seconds, his cheeks going darker - something you had never seen happen to Cedric before .

"I LIKE YOU" he blurted out, his eyes went wide at his own bluntness.

"You mean as in..." you trailed off, feeling flustered yourself.

"As in," he gulped, " more than friends" he continued to look at the ground.

You were so shocked that you let your potions book drop from your hands, "what? Why?"

He obviously took your outburst the wrong way as his eyes glazed over and he brought his hands to his face.

You stammered to come up with a response because even though he had openly admitted his feelings towards you, your extreme awkwardness made it hard to tell him yours.

"I-" he started but you cut him off.

"I WANT TO SIT ON YOUR FACE" you blurted out and quickly covered your mouth with both your hands.

He looked up in confusion "what?"

"Okay I thought that would be an easier way of saying I like you too but it sounded really horrible and whew can you please just pretend that you never heard that and don't think about it ever again because honestly that's my the first thing that comes to my mind when I-"

You were suddenly cut off by Cedric's lips on your own. It wasn't a snog but just a gentle kiss, one you had been hoping would happen for the last four years.

You pulled away more pink than ever and scratched your neck "thanks for not thinking I'm a complete weirdo I guess"

Cedric smiled "oh but you are a complete weirdo, just a weirdo I happen to like a lot"

You smiled back at him and took his hand in your own "so is our first date going to be in a potions room and include professor Snape by any chance?"

Cedric laughed at your question " I'd really rather it didn't include professor Snape actually. Hogsmeade this weekend, just the two of us"

"Yes that sounds splendid"

The two of you walked off, leaving your potions book behind.