Chapter 4: The Prisoner

"Why are we here again?" I ask as we land inside a base

"Look he's an old friend and he has a job for us." he turns around in his chair, "And we need the credits." I look around at the people walking around.

"Looks imperial to me."

He stands up and repeats, "We need the credits."

He goes down the ladder and I follow.

"You can't trust imperial people."

"I know."

We walk out of the ship and like always people stare.

"Mando," Some guy says, "Is that you under that bucket." he puts his hand out.

Mando shakes his hand, "Ran."

Ran looks at me and says, "Now whos this pretty lady."

It takes everything in me not to gag.

"Aurora."

"Nice to meet you," he says and I fake a smile.

He looks back to Mando, "I didn't really know if I'd ever see you in these parts again. Good to see you. You know to be honest, I was a little surprised when you reached out to me." We start walking slowly. "You know, 'cause I...I hear things. Like, maybe things between you and the Guild aren't working out." We stop walking.

"We'll be fine."

"Okay. Well, you know the policy. No questions. And you, you're welcome back here anytime."

The Rebel in me hates this. Every part of this.

"So what's the job?" Mando asks.

"One of our associates ran afoul of some competitors and got himself caught. So I'm puttin together a crew to spring him. It's a six-person job. I got four. All I need is the ride, and you brought it." He looks at the razor crest.

"The ship wasn't part of the deal."

"Well, the Crest is the only reason I let you back in here." Mando looks at him obviously mad. "What's the look?" He steps closer to Mando "Is that gratitude?" he walks away laughing.

"I don't like this," I say, "Or him."

"I know," he says with almost sympathy in his voice.

"Hey Mayfeld," we hear Ran say. Mando and I turn around.

"Shit," I say under my breath.

"What?" Mando asks.

"Yeah?" Mayfeld asks.

"This is Mando and-"

"Kyla," Mayfeld says

Shit. Shit. Shit

I can feel Mando's gaze.

"You two know each other?" Ran asks.

"Yeah, she was on one of our bases. Whatever happened to you?"